News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 vacuum hose routing

Started by alzink, February 17, 2024, 01:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alzink

putting my rebuilt 1955 331 back into the car and have forgotten the vacuum hose routing.
no vacuum to radio as I replaced it with a modern version
no vacuum to brake as I don't see it as necessary

so I need routing of windshield wiper, washer, and vacuum advance (not sure I need that as I installed a petronix ) and anything else I might have missed

Thanks

35-709

You keep the vacuum advance with the Pertronix.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: alzink on February 17, 2024, 01:27:55 PMno vacuum to brake as I don't see it as necessary
No power brakes? I would not drive your car!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

On ours, the line on the base of the carb goes to the vac manifold on the firewall for the radio and wipers. The one on the manifold just in front of the carb goes under the manifold to the vac advance.
If I remember correctly, the manifold on the firewall passes thru to feed the radio. So if you aren't using it for the antenna then be sure to cap it off.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

dn010

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on February 18, 2024, 03:06:28 AMNo power brakes? I would not drive your car!

I drove my 57 for years with the vacuum to the booster disconnected, as the booster was inoperable and requiring rebuild. It is very appreciated when it is working again.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

tluke

So Jeff may have remembered backwards. The small metal vacuum line coming off the bottom of the front of the carb bends toward the right and is routed under the manifold directly to the vacuum port on the distributor. The larger metal vacuum port line on the manifold in front of the carb curves around left and heads to the back of the engine. (Click pictures to see full size)
55CadVacuumConnections.jpg
At that point the metal line connects with a rubber vacuum hose into driver side port on the two bottom ports on the vacuum manifold on the firewall.
The next picture shows the various rubber hoses on the vacuum manifold. As shown there are two ports connected to vacuum, the one just shown above connected to the manifold vacuum and one going down the rear of the engine and connecting to the oil pump vacuum assist port. A port at the back of the vacuum manifold goes through the firewall to the radio so that port needs to be capped if not connected to the radio. The other two ports on either side go one to the wiper motor and the other to the windshield washer jar. The third pic shows the pink hose that goes to the wiper switch inside the car and the blue host that goes to a connector on the washer coordinator off the driver side of the wiper motor.
55VacuumHeaterHoseDiag.jpg55CadWasherConnections.jpg
The brake booster is connected via the large rubber hose also shown in the top picture coming off the very front of the manifold (shown bending to the right towards the booster).
1955 Cadillac Series 75
1957 Continental Mark II
1986 Ford F250

Michael Petti

When my booster on my 60 needed rebuild it was like stepping on a brick. I considered car undrivable.

5390john

There was an article in the Self Starter in the last 2 or 3 years describing how to rebuild the firewall vacuum line distribution manifold with a new "check valve" component gasket.
I did this on my '55 and it made a HUGE difference in the performance of the vacuum system.
I WOULD STRONGLY recommend doing this rebuild, it's really easy and well worth the time!
John Adams   
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

David King (kz78hy)

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: 5390john on February 20, 2024, 04:43:17 PMThere was an article in the Self Starter in the last 2 or 3 years describing how to rebuild the firewall vacuum line distribution manifold with a new "check valve" component gasket.

John, that description is also here: https://forums.cadillaclasalle.club/index.php?topic=108350.0
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: tluke on February 19, 2024, 11:47:19 PMSo Jeff may have remembered backwards.

Well, it is possible. That is how ours was plumbed when we got it. The line going to the distributor was hard metal the whole way and made it very hard to turn it so I spliced it and out a rubber vac line in the middle. Mine also goes under the manifold instead of above as in your picture. All seems to run well.....
However it is possible that mine has been wrong from the start I guess.

Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

tluke

Now, before this thread I didn't even think about which vacuum line was connected where but I assumed since the vacuum advance didn't kick in until you give the engine some gas, it might have something to do with the throttle and carburetor. Being the curious person I am, after Jeff's last post I did a quick search to fill in a bit my lack of knowledge. Here's what I found:

Manifold vacuum comes from a source BELOW the throttle blades. Vacuum coming off the carburetor is "ported" vacuum and will not register vacuum until the throttle is opened. Ported vacuum is vacuum that is low at idle and increases as you give it gas. Engine vacuum, available ABOVE the throttle plates of a carburetor, is used to advance ignition timing when the throttle is opened above its idle position. A ported vacuum connection will not register vacuum until the throttle is opened. A manifold connection will register vacuum anytime the engine is running at closed (idle) or part throttle. At Wide Open Throttle (WOT), vacuum will be at or near ZERO.

So Jeff has his car running well with the vacuum advance off the intake manifold so I must conclude you can time the engine such that it works that way. However, since the rest of his accessories (wipers, windshield washer, antenna) are running off the ported vacuum on the carburetor, which doesn't provide vacuum at idle, I have to guess those accessories don't work when sitting at a stop light (or at wide open throttle climbing a hill).

Just FYI
1955 Cadillac Series 75
1957 Continental Mark II
1986 Ford F250

alzink

Wow,

Thank you all !
If I have further questions, I'll get back to you
The newly rebuilt 331 and transmission are going back in in a few weeks then I'll figure out the routing

alzink

I have to correct my first comment re the brakes. The vacuum I eliminated was the vacuum asset to the emergency brake not to the vacuum to the booster. Thanks for the comments

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: alzink on February 25, 2024, 09:15:26 AMI have to correct my first comment re the brakes. The vacuum I eliminated was the vacuum asset to the emergency brake not to the vacuum to the booster. Thanks for the comments
Not sure I understand....... There is no vac assist to the emergency brake.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

alzink

Hmm... I'l have to check it out and get back to you

Thanks

alzink

you are correct about the
brake assist vacuum. I got it mixed up with my 63
At 76 its happening more every day
Again thanks for all the input

tluke

Just to clarify since it wasn't shown in my diagram in my post of 2/19/24, the vacuum goes from the vacuum manifold through the firewall to the rear of the radio as I described but then there are two hoses that go out from there under the dash and out to the antenna, one for up and one for down.
1955 Cadillac Series 75
1957 Continental Mark II
1986 Ford F250