News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Eldorado Brougham, Driver's Door Latch Repair Help Needed

Started by PerryB, March 04, 2024, 10:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerryB

The driver's door on my 1957 Eldorado Brougham will not latch closed.  There's a rotary latch mechanism, bottom of the door's latch assembly, that spins freely with no resistance.   It should be held in place ready to hit the striker.   A broken spring was suggested and seems likely enough.  I'll be with the car late next week to remove the door panel and look more closely, but just checking here first for some information that may help.   Is this latch, or the spring, specific to the Brougham?   I wonder if the spring replacement would be easily sourced, or is it something more complex, special?    I'd appreciate any experience, information, advice, or help toward parts needed. 
Perry Bush
1957 Eldorado Brougham #213

PerryB

Not sure why the picture didn't attach, trying again
Perry Bush
1957 Eldorado Brougham #213

Roger Zimmermann

Unfortunately for you, the door lock is specific for the Brougham. However, it may have internal elements common to other models.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dn010

If you have a borescope, you can send it into the door with the window down to check things out without pulling the panels and you can compare to the other side. Most likely whatever broke on your latch is still laying on the bottom of the door.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean