News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

85 Seville self dimming rear view mirror

Started by Tony C, November 16, 2005, 07:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony C

Im putting one of those mirrors in the car. I took down the front of the headliner and the car does not seem to be prewired for the accessory. I can get a 3 pin connector for the mirror and use the dome light for power supply. I assume one pin is power, the other ground and what is the third one? The mirror controller is transistorized with a circuit board. Is this a low voltage (4-6 DCV) circuit? Is the third wire from the ECM, HL switch or what?

Mike #19861

Sorry for the late reply. I had a quick look in my manual, but could not find a diagram. I just had a more thorough look. It was located in the accessoriss section (9C-18). Anyway here it is.

The 3 wires are as follows:

Pink circuit 39, power feed from turn signal fuse. Hot when ignition on.

Tan circuit 24, mirror enable, from drive/reverse switch. Hot when gear selector is in drive or reverse.

Dk Blue circuit 150, ground.

Mike

Dave Smith #17592

Hi Tony,

You dont need to hook up that third wire to the reverse signal.   I have installed them in a few of my cars.   They work fine using just power and ground.   The only point of the third wire is to prevent the mirror from dimming at night if you shift the car into reverse.   The car companies dont want any liability if you run over someone when backing at night if you use only the rear view mirror for vision.    Which of course you shouldnt.     The correct and safest way is to turn and look, but they know that some older people with less mobility may not turn and look, but glance up at the mirror before backing.  

Speaking of mirrors,  my boss had a Continental that its power side mirrors would tilt down when you shifted into reverse.  I always thought that was a frivolous feature until I got to drive his car home one day.  My driveway is narrow and when I back out I am alway cautious of going off the edge and onto the lawn.   Well let me tell you!   Those tilting mirrors really did help me see the edge of the driveway!    Then I understood why they have them tilt in reverse!

Tony Cometto

Thank you to Mike and Dave for responding. Stringing the wire to an ignition powered source will be a real treat. Thanks again. Tony.

Dave Smith #17592

Hi Tony!

It was a nice surprise to get your phone call!   Glad I could help and I hope the installation goes smoothly for you.  

David

Tony #8985

In and working. Threading wire down A piller to the fuse panel was the hardest part. Thanks again.