News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Correct tire width and color of wheels for 75

Started by Bill Hedge CLC 14424, November 26, 2005, 11:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

I recently purchased a 75 Cadillac Mirage which is basically a conversion of a 75 Coup DeVille to a pickup.  Although the vehicle only has 3,000 miles on it, the original wire wheels have too much rust to be nice without rechroming.  At least for everyday driving, I intend to replace the wire wheels with regular wheels and the proper sized tires.

My questions are:

1.  What sized white walls are technically correct for this year???  I have seen Cadillac literature with the narrow sidewalls on some cars, and about a two inch wide white on others.

2.  Were the factory wheels painted black or a light gray??

Dave Smith #17592

Hi Bill,

The rims have all been black that I have seen.    As for the whitewall width, there were two sizes.  The standard Radial tires had the narrower stripe.   Optional on all series except the series 75 limousines was a Wider-Whitewall.  The databook doesnt give exact brand and stripe width as they could switch brands if the supply changed.   The wider whitewall does really dress up these large cars nicely.  A 2 inch stripe seems kinda big.   I have the Dimension IV tires on all my cars and they have a nice 1.3 inch stripe.  

If you have trouble finding them, just go to Coker Tires website and print the page out that shows them.  Bring the page to your local tire store.  They will order them for you and mount and balance them.  

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

You may want to try the Broadway Classic Tires, for the correct period whitewall width. They are on my 71 Eldorado and I have been pleased with their performance/ride/appearance. Here is one of many links to see information about them:

http://www.tirefactory.net/multimilebroadwayclassic.html TARGET=_blank>http://www.tirefactory.net/multimilebroadwayclassic.html

Mike @19861

The size of the whitewall can be subjective. Much literature current and present van show whitewalls at differant widths, but the wider 1 1/2 white walls seem to be popular.

The correct rims are 15x6. They were used throughout at least the 70s until 1976. Cadillac used a specific rim exclusive to Cadillac. Any 70s Cadillac will have them if you wish to scour the wreckers. But, they are of the standard large bolt pattern used by all full sized GM cars and light trucks, so any 15x6 rim will fit.

Mike

Michael Stamps 19507

From experience hubcap fitment is a little tougher on Chevy truck wheels.  Id get Cadillac wheels.  I have four 70 wheels here that are free if you pick them up.  

Stampie

Bob Dziewit

I bought a new 76 CDV in Oct 75 and all of the new Caddilacs I can remember seeing had approximately 1 1/2 inch wide white walls as they arrived from the factory.