News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

38 wheels are weird how?

Started by Rhino 21150, March 11, 2006, 10:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino 21150

Ive read several messages saying that the wheels on the 38 La S and a few other cars are different from most other models of the era. What makes them unique? Funny bolt circle? Strange offset? Atypical width? All of the above? I saw an amazing set of chrome wires in a 5 X 16 size, only $500. Im thinking of getting adapters made.

Brad Ipsen CLC#737

Cadillac wheels of this vintage are hub concentric.  In other words the lug bolts to not center the wheel on the brake drum.  The hub locates the wheel.  The wheel ID is the same as the hub OD on the brake drum.  The small series 38 wheels have a larger ID center hole than later 39 and 40 small series wheels.  If you try to put the later wheels on a 38 they hit the hub on the brake drum.  The larger series cars (75 & 90s) have wheels that are the same for 38, 39 and 40.  The 39 and 40 brake drums may interchange backwards on the 38.  I am not positive but if they do then you could put any of the later wheels on including the 15 inch 41 and up wheels.

Rhino 21150

Thank you so much. Looks like adapters wouldnt work, but finding someone to open the center hole would do it. Hmmm. Sounds painful.

Doug Houston

One other thing about this. The bolt circle on the wheels for the 38-50,60,60S are different from other year Cadillacs. They are 5 lug, as usual, but I forget what they were. I once restored a 38-60 coupe, and had to get wheels for it. I was lucky and did. The car had Lincoln wheels on it with 15 inch tires when I got it.

And as Brad knows, the wheels for the 38 through 40  75 and 90 were  different from anything else that we know of, (If Im not contradicting ehat he said). And nowadays, just try and find one!

Rhino 21150

I was at Carlisle about two years ago. I walked up to a tractor trailer rig full of custom wheels. I said I had an odd car from GM and he probably didnt have anything that would fit. He said he had 13,14,15,16,16.5,17,18,20,22 and 24 inch wheels that would fit anything GM ever made. Then he paused and said You dont have a 38 Cadillac or La Salle, do you? I just grinned. He grinned back and said Sorry. te he.