News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1973 Eldorado Top Replacement Quote $5,000

Started by SaltLife97, November 20, 2023, 03:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltLife97

Is "around $5,000 for everything" a good quote? I asked to clarify if that means the roof rail system and motor (doubt it) but I'm assuming he means weatherstripping, vinyl top with glass, new tack for the staples, adjustment etc. He is around 60 years old and has been replacing convertible tops since he was 16 with his father. And he knows his stuff over the phone too. I'll update with his answer to what "everything" is. He is booked until January and will be doing a '69 Cadillac and a '71 here soon. From Aston Martins to vintage.

TJ Hopland

I would believe that.   I did my 73 maybe 10 years ago and I kinda remember the $3500 being the base number. I don't think that included weatherstripping stuff, mine wasn't that old.  I think my total was like $5k. 

Cleaning,repairing, and adjusting the mechanism was extra which I did have them do.  Working on the motor assembly was extra but I didn't have them do that since I could do that on my own without messing with the rest of the top.  Adjusting the windows was also extra and I was just out of money so skipped that too.  Since they were also a detail shop I had them do a deluxe job on the leather while it was there. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Having done a couple of tops myself, that price doesn't seem unreasonable.

That price should include the side padding as well, but in the case of the '71, make sure that it also includes the rain gutter and the boot/tray as these are only replaceable when the top is unfastened from the rearmost bow, which cannot be seen.

If your car has had some major repairs done in the area around the back and sides of the top, then make sure that the area is properly repaired.

I did a top replacement of a '71, and only found out at the last minute that one of the gutter retaining clips was damaged, and had been poorly repaired, making the fitting of the gutter, which can only be done at the end, very awkward.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

SaltLife97

Gentlemen as always thank you! I definitely don't MIND the price since these scissor tops alone are worth NOT working on yourself I know. Well, I appreciate it and I will inquire if that includes the aforementioned items. The gentlemen is next available anyway January 3rd. 2024.

Happy holidays to y'all!

The Tassie Devil(le)

I thought I would throw in some pictures of what I found when I replaced the top on a '71 Eldo.

The car was always kept clean, but when stripping the top off, it revealed horrible things that simply cannot be seen, or got to.

This top had been replaced before, and the person loved using the staple gun, putting staples everywhere.

The last four pictures show the torn rust under the front header bow, the torn gutter, and rust-damaged rear bow/tack strip.

I could not believe there was so much grime and gunge in places that couldn't be got at.

Plus, I found it hard to believe that there had to be so much remedial work prior to reinstallation.

I would be checking the quote as to what it covers.   As if the mechanism has to be removed, repaired and painted, etc, then it will be more that the $5,000.00

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

SaltLife97

Apologies for the late reply but thank you!!! Yeah that looks super half-assed  ;D I'm sorry the previous owner did that!!! I've removed the top off of mine and luckily they don't look like yours! Albeit I need new tack strips and a gutter retention rod, everything is decent otherwise. I will definitely rebuild the rear actuators and pack them with new grease. Easily done according to the book. Otherwise I do need new balljoints for the side rails...