News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Pillar Post Weatherstrips preventing the windows go up all the way..

Started by Finndorado, April 28, 2024, 07:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finndorado

Hello Gentlemen !

I wonder if anybody has had the same issue as I do with the front power windows not
going all the way up because it seems that the A pillar post weather strip is too thick..?
and makes the window path too tight in the end. When I look at the window in all up position
and close the door, I can see the pillar rubber pushing the window outwards, maybe too much
(perhaps 4-7mm, hard to tell while "slamming" the door) because I dodn`t know what`s a normal amount.
I had the power motors renewed by a good reputation classic car garage, and he said
that he cannot adjust the windows to work properly even he has tried everything with it, and actually he was
wondering if the A pillar post weather strip rubber is too thick ?
I trust his experience in adjusting thw windows, at least much more than my own.
Otherwise the windows work just fine with speed and power.
All the weather strips are renewed by the former owner of the car and they are in good shape,
but if they are some reproduction model that are no good..?
If so, where could I get decent/good quality ones with the highest probability ?
With the repair man we agreed to adjust the windows so that they are ok otherwise, but I have to
open the door when pulling the window up the last inches.
Silicon I havent tried yet, but that might not be the right way to solve the issue.

Thanks
Mika
1973 Eldorado convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Mika,

I too have found that the reproduction products are not as good as the originals, as if they were, the cars would never have left the production line simply because they couldn't operate successfully.

I have replaced the weatherstrips in my Non-Cadillac rebuild, and have to slam the doors, whereas before, the doors closed nicely, but, I had to replace the parts because they were worn out, split, etc.

When I replaced the door weatherstrips, each time I went to wind the windows down in my '72 Eldorado, the glass would "grab" the rubber, and pull it down into the door.

The only way I could stop this, save completely readjusting the doors was to use a product called Slipicone.   This is a food grade silicone that doesn't leave too much of a residue.  I sprayed the rubber, and during the operation of the glass, wiped off the excess.

When I dissect the original rubber, there is a soft sponge-like rubber inside the slightly thicker, more solid outer layer, allowing the superior compression, whilst allowing for the sliding of the glass.   Reproduction rubber cannot replicate the original compounds/cross-section, even though they can create the actual shape.

They are in it to make money, whereas the factory was in it to sell cars that worked perfectly when they left the production line.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Finndorado

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 28, 2024, 07:23:35 AMG'day Mika,

I too have found that the reproduction products are not as good as the originals, as if they were, the cars would never have left the production line simply because they couldn't operate successfully.

I have replaced the weatherstrips in my Non-Cadillac rebuild, and have to slam the doors, whereas before, the doors closed nicely, but, I had to replace the parts because they were worn out, split, etc.

When I replaced the door weatherstrips, each time I went to wind the windows down in my '72 Eldorado, the glass would "grab" the rubber, and pull it down into the door.

The only way I could stop this, save completely readjusting the doors was to use a product called Slipicone.  This is a food grade silicone that doesn't leave too much of a residue.  I sprayed the rubber, and during the operation of the glass, wiped off the excess.

When I dissect the original rubber, there is a soft sponge-like rubber inside the slightly thicker, more solid outer layer, allowing the superior compression, whilst allowing for the sliding of the glass.  Reproduction rubber cannot replicate the original compounds/cross-section, even though they can create the actual shape.

They are in it to make money, whereas the factory was in it to sell cars that worked perfectly when they left the production line.

Bruce. >:D

Hi Bruce !

I thought you may have some experiences about this too, thanks :)
I can see what you mean with the rubber features, and I actually found
one store they said their parts have those features you mentioned.

https://store.convertibleparts.com/gm-full-size-convertible-complete-weatherstripping-set-1971-1976-gm-full-size/
They are Metro Moulded Parts brand..
Hydro-e-lectrick sells their own also.
The ones I now have are stiff like batons so maybe I give these a try if I can get only the pillar post parts for a start.
When I studied the rubbers more I found out strange details, just like they have no way to fit the window as they should.
If you have time, could you please take a look at the pictures in the DropBox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/cfxspxwfy2qefevrhx42l/AGnpcLyvDBLxUohmftpFToM?rlkey=umgisucd773n3e4lhikn7veae&dl=0

In wonder if that metal rail is installed too low because the upper end of the rubber should be more close to the window (pict 3 and 4) and in the lower end of the pillar it forms a shoulder that pushes the window so hard that it gets stuck before it reaches the top position (pict 2).
Is the metal rail attached first to the pillar and the rubber slided into the rail (as I believe), or are the metal rail and the rubber one structure ?
I have not dismantled the structure yet when I`m considering to have those new parts first from somewhere, so that I can also finish the job when I start it.

Thanks for your time Bruce :)
Br
Mika

1973 Eldorado convertible