News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on Yesterday at 10:54:22 PMThat's what I thought, but if its an Engine main seal, TH400 or TH425 doesn't matter.
Definitely not.

Bruce. >:D
For Sale - Cars / Re: 1937 Series 75 Fleetwood, ...
Last post by Lexi - Yesterday at 11:18:57 PM
Sadly, the high cost of parts (some of which could take years to possibly locate), and low demand-often makes the decision for us whether to save, part out or scrap, a "project" car. Clay/Lexi
General Discussion / Re: Making parts when you can ...
Last post by Lexi - Yesterday at 11:10:50 PM
Quote from: Jay Friedman on September 03, 2021, 12:03:41 PMBill,

I have a vintage (1935) 9 inch South Bend Lathe with a milling attachment that I've owned for 25+ years as well as a modern Taig mini lathe.  I was never a professional machinist like you and what little machining skill I have I learned by taking a night course at a local technical college.  Parts for my 1949 Cadillac are fairly plentiful, so I've never had to make many parts as you have.  Nonetheless, I've made a few small and simple parts for the car as well as some metal parts to replace broken plastic parts on household items. 

I have heard that a Hardinge is the Cadillac of lathes. 

Jay

Well. I took the plunge and bought a vintage South Bend Model A machinist's lathe. Already I am wondering how I got along without one for so long. Between that, my industrial metal cutter and my MIG welder, as well as other tooling, I have lots of projects on the go including some Cadillac. For the hardcore out there, many will eventually have the need to make some parts and even the occassional tool to keep our Caddies on the road. Clay/Lexi
General Discussion / Re: Rear main seal 68 Eldorado...
Last post by cadillacmike68 - Yesterday at 10:54:22 PM
Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on Yesterday at 08:59:21 PMTH425.

Bruce. >:D   

That's what I thought, but if its an Engine main seal, TH400 or TH425 doesn't matter.
General Discussion / Re: Why Did I Receive This???
Last post by cadillacmike68 - Yesterday at 10:53:20 PM
Quote from: Carfreak on Yesterday at 09:02:33 PMAnd now my Profile will be updated so it is not viewable to non-members accessing our Forum.

A little paranoid are we??   :P
General Discussion / Re: Missing 1968 Cadillac trim...
Last post by cadillacmike68 - Yesterday at 10:51:41 PM
Quote from: billyoung on Yesterday at 10:25:58 PMThank you Mike. Actually I did not drill and tap the part, I epoxied it in place. Secure. 

Ok, but remember the heat factor here. Check it once in a while anyway.
General Discussion / Re: The Real cost of operating...
Last post by cadillacmike68 - Yesterday at 10:50:55 PM
Quote from: billyoung on Yesterday at 10:32:55 PMActually Mike I so called afforded the 1968 partly from the sale of a previous car and the rest I put on a Home equity line with the thought of refinancing my basic mortgage due to the increased value of the house, however when the mortgage rates rose so rapidly then I was in trouble because the new mortgage would be as expensive as just leaving the current one in place and paying the monthly HELOC hoping that someday the rates will come down. If not, no end to working or sell the car. We will see what transpires.

I'm in a similar situation here. Good luck.
General Discussion / Re: The Real cost of operating...
Last post by billyoung - Yesterday at 10:32:55 PM
Actually Mike I so called afforded the 1968 partly from the sale of a previous car and the rest I put on a Home equity line with the thought of refinancing my basic mortgage due to the increased value of the house, however when the mortgage rates rose so rapidly then I was in trouble because the new mortgage would be as expensive as just leaving the current one in place and paying the monthly HELOC hoping that someday the rates will come down. If not, no end to working or sell the car. We will see what transpires.
General Discussion / Re: Missing 1968 Cadillac trim...
Last post by billyoung - Yesterday at 10:25:58 PM
Thank you Mike. Actually I did not drill and tap the part, I epoxied it in place. Secure.
For Sale - Cars / Re: 1937 Series 75 Fleetwood, ...
Last post by Bryan J Moran - Yesterday at 10:13:03 PM
Yes and what's left would be scrapped.  I'm all for saving it but how
Much would you want for the motor plus transport?  $4,000? (Just a guess). Then add transmission and what if linkages are missing?