News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz-1st time offered-In the Roster?

Started by Matt CLC#18621, November 07, 2008, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

Stampie

I wonder how stupid the seller can be expecting someone to buy a $125,000 on hype and what might be in the trunk.  At least prepare a little and take pictures outside and find the freaking keys first.

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

J

well at least they offer layaway so that will give them time to ind the keys   lol..... 

Jessie
Cadillac got me!!!

Glen

If it has the remote trunk release it should be easy to open the trunk even if you cant start the engine. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

bill henry

the first pictures look like they were taken at a junkyard look in the backround. sorta reminds me of when arnie first sees christine!
Bill Henry

Bryan

Here is the deal on this poster.  About 12 years ago I inquired on a Hemmings Motor News paper advertisement because basically I am poor and can only afford project vehicles, with the hope of restoring and putting sweat equity into cars.

This advertiser stated the same things you see in this ad. Remember this was way before ebay, probably 12-15 years ago. They sent me a flyer with their cars for sale. many fairly reasonably priced but when additional inquiries were made, it usually ended with poor photos of cars crammed into a tight space.

They always claimed to be liqidating the inventory of a museum for an owner and were open to offers and layaways, and on and on. Very strange. They have always maintined that they were "losing storage" and gave a "fire sale" menatiality and image to their advertisements and correspondence. They calimed to have many rare cars and were the local Buick and Cadillac dealer that "went out of business".

These are all quick hit recollections of mine because I kept getting my interest peaked from some of their cars for sale. It's weird though, they don't sell many cars, and should know that properly marketing such supposed rare cars is a requirement of anyone interested in shelling over $125,000 or so.

BUYER BEWARE.  What they may have is simply a series 62 convertible.  In many of their ads (they have been on ebay off and on for years, under various user names) they titillate by saying "it may" be a rare one of one or could be an Eldorado (because the title says so) but are short on details.  I guess what always fascinated me was the claim that "no reasonable offer would be refused" Layaway" and "losing storage".  If they are losing storage, then they have been losing storage for at least 15 years.

My wife was from a town a few miles from Rockford. I stopped in once to see this yard. It is a typical crammed in old car lot, no museum in sight, no GM branded dealership in sight. Somebody did save old cars for years, probably back when Eldos went for peanuts as "just get rid of it" tradeins and basic snippets of this guys story may be true, may be not. These are all cars exposed to the elements for years and need full restorations. ebay actually offers them the best market for their schtick. Because YOU know somebody is going to bite, not you or I but somebody - some European buyer that can't resist.

Look at it this way. If you are really interested in one of their cars, then ask a local CLC member to go over there and check it out and get the "real" story. Once there, (and I never got them to commit to a meeting- I was even willing to drive the four hours over there on some cars I was interested in) I am sure you will get the real story that it is a 62 series convertible, with no title and "gosh we thought it was an Eldorado because it was Persian Sand"

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Byyan, you are right on! I always felt there was something strange about that Rockford  dealer. I think the guys name was Lew Lazaras. The stock # on the car is LEL 101. Coincidence?  Also amazing is the 10 page iron clad legal  contract, but they can't find the keys!!! LOL, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bryan

Bob,
I noticed his feedback is only 5. His ebay name used to be CollectorCarsinc or something like that but that was several incarnations ago. Now only 5 on feedback, with one no deal. He has a lot of no deals. I just could not keep on going with the same schtick year after year.

I remember laughing once when his feedback was around 30 with 6 or 7 negatives for non completion of the sale for misrepresentations. Then ebay would shut him down and he would start all over again.

That reminds me of the movie "Don't Mess With the Zohan" with Adam Sandler where is friend is running a retail store with the name "Going Out of Business".