News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

WTB - 1954 heat riser valve or blank

Started by RobertM, June 27, 2014, 06:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

My heat riser valve broke into pieces.  Does anyone know a source for a new one or a blank?
Thanks,  Bob

Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

D.Yaros

I suspect the consensus among those who have 'em is that they are more trouble than they are worth.  Unless you are driving the car in cold weather they serve little-to-no function.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Ken Perry

I thought there function was to get stuck closed and break exhaust manifolds,heads and crack intakes??? >:D  Run a spacer ! If you can't find one then have it made,or bolt the pipe up with out it. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

RobertM

Mine was frozen shut and I had planned on just putting in a spacer.  I stuck it in a bowl of mystery oil several months ago while I was getting the engine rebuilt.  Lo and behold,  it came free.. amazing what that mystery oil can do.  So, I figured I'd use it anyway. Well on installation it just plain fell apart when I tightened the nuts down.  Now I'm almost done putting everything back together and I'm back to square one on this part. I tried to just bolt it together without the valve but it won't quite come together.  I'll see if the machine shop that did my engine rebuild can fabricate me a spacer.  Shouldn't be complicated, I just don't have the right tools.
Bob
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

jeremy9146

Had mine break on a 60 coupe I once had.  Went to napa and bought two steel flanges then welded them together to get the same thickness as the riser.  Hope this helps.

Jeremy Weiss
Jeremy Weiss Bridgewater, NJ
Current collection of Cadillac’s
1953 Eldorado
1959 Eldorado Biarritz

Jeff Maltby 4194

I believe Art Gardner from the 49er chapter had some laser cut ?

Someone will be back asap.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jay Friedman

As Jeff said, Art Gardner agardner@gardnergroff.com sells spacers for a reasonable cost.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Caddy Wizard

I have been selling them for $26 including shipping to the lower 48.  I might have one or two left and will have to decide whether to make more.  The football-shaped ones I have been making and selling are for 49-56 models with two fastener holes.  I think in 57 or thereabouts they came out with a triangular design with three fastener holes.

By the way, the main function of this valve these days is to cause the engine to run hotter than it should and boil the gas out of of the carb and cause vapor lock.  Almost no one drives these old cars in cold weather anymore (I still drive them as daily transport about half the time, including in whatever weather we are having). But most of these cars are relegated to occasional use and the valve never functions to provide the more rapid warm-up in cold weather that it was designed to do.  Nowadays, it is just like an appendix -- totally useless until it fails and then it causes trouble...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

RobertM

I was able to get the manifold and down-tube to bolt together.  I used a spacer on the bolts to keep the nuts on the threads, but it mated up no problem after all.  Thanks everyone for the help.
Bob
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

Caddy Wizard

If your car is a single exhaust model (49-51), you should look carefully for an exhaust leak now.  Getting the thing to bolt together is not the same as sealing it up.  Without the valve (or a spacer) in place, the flange on the crossover pipe will be at an angle relative to the manifold's flange and won't seal properly.

On the dual exhaust cars (52-56), this is not usually a problem as you can lift the driver side exh pipe some to bolt it together and usually it won't change the angle enough to create sealing problems. 
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)