News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

CADILLAC ENGINE SERIAL NUMBERS DIRECTORY

Started by rmartin1, May 19, 2016, 02:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmartin1

Hi!  I have been trying to find a Master Directory listing all of the Engine Serial Numbers from year to year for Cadillac V8 engines - particularly the 1930's thru the late 1940's.

If anyone could please provide information about a directory such as this - even online - that would be extremely helpful to me (and many other people -I'm sure- searching for information).

I have a 41 Cadillac that has a "Correct" looking 346 V8 engine.  I'm certain that its NOT the original engine as it has an Engine Serial Number Stamped on the front corner of the PASSENGER's Side of the block  facing upward.

The Engine Serial Number reads as follows -  Engine serial numbers have a "Star" shaped symbol at the beginning and at the end of the numbers sequence.

Star Shaped Symbol in far left position ...then the numbers -  8 4 3 5 8 2 1 ... then another Star Shaped Symbol on the far right position.

Can anyone please help me identify what YEAR of engine this is?  Any information would be appreciated. I need to do some engine work and I'm not sure what parts to buy.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ron Martin
Modesto, CA
1941 Series 62

ALSO: If you can please email me a reply at ..... ron@imageservices.co .... that would be appreciated. Just signed up for this forum and not too sure at the moment if I'll be able tofind my way back in to check for responses. (Not too computer savvy)

Paul Phillips

Ron
That number should correspond to a 1947 Series 62 car, per the table in the Master Parts List.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

rmartin1

Greetings!

Thank you Paul for your information!!!
That really helps! At least I know to seek 47 parts and not 41.
I learned that there are three different kinds of Lifters in these old flat heads.

Is there a way that the average guy can find and access the Master List?
What is the Master List ... and where can it be found? On line would be great!
I did multiple searches in a variety of variations and could find next to nothing on
identifying engine serial numbers or year of manufacture.

Thanks again for your information.
I'm likely going to be selling this 41 once I get the kinks worked out of it.
Its been restored but Its rarely driven. Its time to put wheels on this rolling
savings account and move it along to someone who will enjoy it.

Best Regards
Ron Martin
Modesto CA

41 Series 62

Steve Passmore

What Paul referees to is the Master Parts Book. No available on line and hard and expensive to find in paper form. The engine numbers are printed in the Cadillac club roster but one must be a member to gain access.   
Paul is correct on the year and series of your engine.  37 through 47 usually uses the same lifters but it seems two other types were used in 48 so I would guess yours were the same as earlier models.
Most other service parts will be the same as 41,
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

las39

Finding a part in the 900 something pages is to tiring so I scanned both list, the 1935 - 40 Master Body and Master Chassis to PDF. They're too large to be emailed, but if you have a server or online drive, I can upload them to you.
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

rmartin1

I thank you all for the information you've provided.  I really appreciate the effort.
Your information will save me from buying the wrong parts!  Saves lots of money
and stress!  Thanks!

Truly wish I had a server with the capacity to accept large file sizes.

Guess I'll need to scrounge up a Master Parts List to purchase somewhere along
the way.

Best Regards
Ron Martin
Modesto, CA

Paul Phillips

There are reprints available authorized by GM.  One source is at the link below, but there may be others.  Parts manual (MPL) comes in two volumes - body parts and chassis parts.

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1941-1947-Cadillac-Parts-Book-Reprint-2-Volume-Set-P26108.aspx

I also have a 47 engine in a 41.  There are very few issues with that to worry about.  It will depend on whether the engine accessories (water pump, starter, etc) are from the 41 or the 47 for a lot of the common needs, as several of these were updated in the 47.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I Have a used reprint of the Master Parts list. $25. plus postage. Please click on my name to get to my e-mail. I prefer e-mail to Personal Messages. Best of luck. BW.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

rmartin1

Greetings All!

This forum is such a great and wonderful wealth of assistance and information!
I truly thank everyone for all of the assistance you've all provided!!!

Barry's deal for a reprint Master Parts Book for $25 bucks seems very nice.  I'll need to hold on that thought for a short time
while I purchase and change out the lifters on the 47 engine installed on my 41 car. If the car ends up for sale I may not
need the manual ... at least until the next time I need it ... and don't have it!

Does anyone know of a source that sells the complete lifter assembly as complete units?
I'm finding the plunger assembly available in a 16 unit 'kit' - but does not include the valve 'Body' component.
In fact I haven't found anyone with the "Body" component available at all.

If any member knows of a source for the lifters - please advise.  I truly appreciate everyone's help!!

Best Regards
Ron Martin
Modesto, CA

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

rmartin1

Greeting Bob!

Thank you for your email. I replied to your email a short while ago.
Its great to see you're fairly local - 408 San Jose Area Code!

Looking forward to communicating with you further.

Best Regards
Ron Martin
Modesto, CA