News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Looking for a zinc anode for my radiator

Started by hearn, July 03, 2017, 05:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hearn

Does anyone have a source for a zinc anode for the radiator?  I can get one that replaces the petcock or one that replaces the cap (but they don't give the pressure for the cap so I'm sure it is too high).  I want one like I have had in the past that constitutes a large brass washer that lays under the radiator cap and has a short length of steel cable soldered to the washer and a zinc anode cast on the other end of the cable so it works with any radiator and any cap.  Thanks for any help on this.

Classic

Gene Menne
CLC #474

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I don't really understand why you feel the need to install a sacrificial anode in
your radiator.

These were commonly used back in the 20's - 40's before so called "permanent"
antifreeze was readily available.

By that I mean, antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors that made the use of such
devices obsolete. 

Antifreeze today contains a system of corrosion inhibiting chemicals that prevent
the water from corroding the copper, solder joints, and other items in the system.
It's based on ethylene glycol and a complex mix of these additives that keep the
pH (acidity) in check.

The "antifreeze" used in that time was commonly just methanol (called wood alcohol
in those days) mixed with water.  Corrosion inhibitors had not yet been invented. It's
purpose was simply to keep your coolant from freezing.

In summary -- Use a modern type antifreeze and forget the sacrificial anode --
you don't need it!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

gary griffin

Dissimilar metals have cathodic relationship.  Eventually the one acting as annode in the relationship will be consumed. The further apart they are on the cathodic scale the faster this will happen. In most instances sacrificial anodes are installed on buried pipelines for example.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

The Tassie Devil(le)

And boats.   Plus, in your home hot water systems

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe