News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Questions about under dash repairs on a 57 Eldorado Seville

Started by Acmemopars, January 18, 2018, 06:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acmemopars

I acquired a 57 Eldorado Seville about 5 months ago and the dash pad was removed and sitting in the trunk when I bought it.  Not sure why.

The gauge cluster (not installed) was neatly wrapped / protected and also stored in the trunk.  It looks to be in good shape but I have no way of testing it yet - maybe next week when I hook it up.

For the past 5 months, I've been rebuilding the original engine and tranny, brakes, fuel lines, tank, etc.. and I'm happy to say that all is in good working order, running and driving well, completely stock with the dual quads.

Since the dash pad in the truck was in bad shape, I just bought a dash pad overlay cover and it has arrived and I will be installing that this weekend.

My next goal is to try and determine why they had removed the dash pad in the first place and fix whatever they tried to fix when the previous owner removed it.

There appears to be a lot of wiring, wiper cables, etc.. under the dash (This is a NON-AC Car) and I'm not familiar with any of the typical problematic issues that these 57 Eldos have under the dash that require dash removal.

Question:  While the dash pad is off the car, are there any suggestions as to what I could test, repair, check, clean, maintain, etc... before I go through the trouble of reinstalling the dash pad ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks !

Mike Nelson
Denison, Texas
Mike Nelson
Denison, Tx
CLC# 31194

57 Eldo Survivor
70 Sunroof Charger 1 of 1
56 F100

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Mike ,
    I had that same pad off many times owning a Seville and a Biarritz .  Install the dash Cluster , the radio and the clock . At this point you can check out everything you need to check With the dash pad off . And don't forget to install the Headlight switch with all the hardware in place and make sure that works . Make sure the Bezel that lights up LIGHTS is correct and the fog light switch is also in place . Once you install that long head light knob in place you will not be able to remove it unless the dash pad is off . You can actually drive the car to make sure everything works properly . and it is a lot easier to do this with the dash pad off . I would make sure i use good quality bulbs . If your car has the auto headlight dimmer i would fish a string up thru  the  the bottom of the dash and connect it to the two leads on the dimmer . This will help you pull the leads to the matching connectors that come off of the fire wall down by the emergency peddle . Make sure your windshield wiper transmission is working as well . All of these thing are staring you right in your face with the dash pad off . Once  you install that dash pad i can Guarantee you will not want to remove it . Every time you install and remove that dash pad you always have a chance to rip it or bend it . It is not the easiest  dash pad to remove and install . Just my opinion . Good luck .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Barry M Wheeler #2189

And don't forget that one small screw. When I had my convertible I was lucky to have not ripped something with that screw keeping me from pulling the pad off. I think it's at the top of the instrument arc but that's been many, many years ago. I just remember that it was there.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Dave Shepherd

Take a close look at the harness plug at the ignition switch, many overheated and started to melt the wires and connector.

fishnjim

It's a guess but since it was neatly wrapped, I suspect the dash cluster may have been sent out for repair.   Look at the back and check the circuits, lights, gauges, and plugs and see if they're all there or indicate repair.   
I suspect similarly were going to send the dash pad out to get rebuilt.   There's people that will completely refurb those and it's much preferable to a cover but more expensive and won't be done soon.   So I get the move to a cover.   But that's an expensive car that deserves the best.
Personally, I don't trust any wiring that old, especially on a car that expensive.   Too many horror stories.   Just because its covered with tape doesn't mean its good, only conceals damage.   If it's not been replaced and they're stiff, they crack and the insulation will eventually flake off, corrode, heat. and short/burn up.

Acmemopars

Thanks for the feedback !  I will check all of the above.

Question:
Does anyone happen to know what kind / size bolts & screws are used to attach the dash pad ?
See photo below where I'm pointing at screw/bolt hole..

I looked in the service manual but it is not listed.

As a side note, here is the original dash pad that looks pretty good except for the front edge that butts up against the windshield where it is separated from the dash pad frame.

Thanks
Mike Nelson
Denison, Tx
CLC# 31194

57 Eldo Survivor
70 Sunroof Charger 1 of 1
56 F100