News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Heater hose and power steering hose question....

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, March 18, 2018, 12:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

And after the 'red hot spark plug' fiasco I wouldn't blame any of you for ignoring me... I feel like such a girl.

I changed the top heater core hose without issue, from the top of the heater core to the top of the radiator, 3/4" hose.

The bottom one some previous owner butchered. It must have leaked and for some reason they cut the hose about a foot off the heater core, used a piece of pipe to connect the 2, and used 5/8 hose the rest of the way. Ergo that's original hose from the heater core to the butchering.

Shouldn't that be 3/4" hose? Isn't the bottom of the heater core going to be another 3/4" like the top one?
Is the 5/8" hose 'bad' that's on there now?
Autozone has more 45 degree heater hose pieces, 3/4" to 5/8", then I'd just need another heater hose connector. But that repair has to wait until the car gets into the shop - there's a wire clamp on it at the heater core, right on the fire wall, and I can't get it off. Can't even get an angle with a Dremel cutting wheel to cut it off. I just want to have all my parts ready when we go in... as soon as their done with the Bronco.

Power steering hose - the one from the bottom of the reservoir to whatever that gizmo is.... I stayed up for 2 hours last night reading my shop manual and never got an answer. Anyway that hose has a tower clamp under the reservoir and what ever that thing its connected to has a worm clamp that's eaten well into the swollen hose. I at least figured out that 3/8" hose, got that and some clamps. (Did I mention the worm clamp at the bottom was put on from underneath and now I'll be screwing upside down from the top to get it off - insert your jokes here, I deserve them.

I don't have the ability here to bleed the system like the manual says to get an air bubble out, so - how I can change this hose and avoid air in the system and of course debris. How do you cap off either end?

\m/
Laurie?
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

cadillacmike68

I think these cars used both sizes. I'll have to check later.

Take off both ends from the heater core and look at the fittings. If they are both the same size then the car used all 3/4, however is one fitting is smaller, then the smaller one is 5/8.

I think your car has a small power steering line cooler. My 1968 has one; it sits behind the radiator and yes they develop leaks.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bobby B

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on March 18, 2018, 12:48:35 AM
I don't have the ability here to bleed the system like the manual says to get an air bubble out, so - how I can change this hose and avoid air in the system and of course debris. How do you cap off either end?

Bleed the cooling system or the power steering system? What air bubble are you asking about, and how do you know air is trapped in wherever you think it is? Please be more specific.....
                                  Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Bobby B on March 18, 2018, 01:18:17 AM
Bleed the cooling system or the power steering system? What air bubble are you asking about, and how do you know air is trapped in wherever you think it is? Please be more specific.....
                                  Bobby

Power steering

Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 18, 2018, 01:06:51 AM
I think these cars used both sizes. I'll have to check later.

Take off both ends from the heater core and look at the fittings. If they are both the same size then the car used all 3/4, however is one fitting is smaller, then the smaller one is 5/8.

I think your car has a small power steering line cooler. My 1968 has one; it sits behind the radiator and yes they develop leaks.

Mike I already did the top one, it was 3/4".
I can't get the bottom one off until we're in the shop.
I just want to have all my parts 'ready' so I can be doing this while
someone is working on the engine doing something else.
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Bobby B

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on March 18, 2018, 01:33:00 AM
Power steering

You usually bleed the power steering system by turning slowly lock to lock a few times. You'll be able to hear the difference in sound when the air is out. That will usually get any trapped air out. You might have to let it sit overnight and bleed it over. Some types of systems bleed easier than others. Good idea if you changed anything in the system or if your pump let go, to install a PS filter in your return line. It slips inside your return hose. They cost a few dollars and need to be used even after a flush, before you install any new components. Most pump manufacturers won't warranty a rebuilt pump unless you flush AND use an in-line filter. Cheap insurance.....
                                                                                                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Bobby B on March 18, 2018, 01:48:32 AM
You usually bleed the power steering system by turning slowly lock to lock a few times. You'll be able to hear the difference in sound when the air is out. That will usually get any trapped air out. You might have to let it sit overnight and bleed it over. Some types of systems bleed easier than others. Good idea if you changed anything in the system or if your pump let go, to install a PS filter in your return line. It slips inside your return hose. They cost a few dollars and need to be used even after a flush, before you install any new components. Most pump manufacturers won't warranty a rebuilt pump unless you flush AND use an in-line filter. Cheap insurance.....
                                                                                                         Bobby

Any ideas on the best way for me to change that hose?
Laurie?

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

59-in-pieces

Unless you are from Australia down under - where every thing is upside down - I didn't see a joke.

However, the heater core and heater valve should be 3/4" and 5/8" for 59.
But if for some reason the core and heater valve were changed - to the 60's design - then they would both be
3/4".  And yes, if the valve were changed - and not the core - the pipes would both be 3/4".

As for air in the heating system, it would be best the heat up the engine and cycle the heater valve wide open for a bit and back, the cycle once again, with time between - don't cycle the heater valve - the water flow is highly restricted.

Still not sure what you are talking about the clams at the fire wall, can't be cut - and wire etc.
Is the clamp a Corbin clamp - heavy wire - not worm - not double thin wire, like around the air ducts in the car.
Take a pic or two.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Lots of pictures....
First pics are of the bottom hose at the heater core. Prolly original hose, wire twist clamp. That hose, to where ever it goes, obviously failed at some point. And the turnip mechanic simply cut the original hose, put in a piece of pipe (?) to connect to the new 5/8th hose which may or may not be the correct size, not sure an 1/8th makes that big of a difference. The hose above is my repair; a 3/4" 45 degree heater hose to a 3/4" adapter (so I could hang that sharp left up to the new hose I ran to the top of the radiator. The bottom hose of the heater core I want to replace too because its old, I just can't get it off with that twist clamp so close to the firewall. Already have the new parts, 3/4 to 5/8 45 degree heater hose with a lot of material on the 5/8 side, and a 5/8 to 5/8 adapter to join up to the 5/8 hose. Yes I'll move the hoses so the top one is on top, etc.

Next group of pics is from the power steering reservoir. I think they're supposed to be fitted line but the clamps seem to be working. Top clamp under the reservoir is a tower clamp. The bottom of the hose that goes to the thingy is a worm clamp attached from the bottom of course. That hose looks funky and its outta here. I already have new 3/8 hose for this and clamps. My question is how do I prevent losing ps fluid during this procedure, how do I 'plug' the resevoir and the thingy the hose goes to, mostly to prevent debris from entering the system and needing to bleed the system. Or can I simply keep adding Dexron 6, turning the wheel in gear left to right, checking the fluid, adding as necessary like when I changed that fluid last month? Is that a faux 'bleed'?

As always, comments and advice are greatly appreciated.
\m/
Laurie (who couldn't get 3 spark plug wires on correctly)

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I think you will find that these heater lines have been rerouted over the years. It is hard to tell from the pictures but I would not just assume the way yours are currently routed is correct..... but it works. The supply hose is a real pain to get on the block so you will lose a little knuckle skin in the process---but a job really isn't complete unless you have lost at least a little blood. The hose seems to weld itself to the heater core outlets over time. I didn't want to risk hurting it by twisting or pulling so I just sliced it on the nipple and peeled it back.
As far as the power steering goes I did the same thing as you. Didn't lose too much fluid and I just bled it without jacking the car-remember that is just the return line so a bubble there will work it's way out. However please check your pressure line. I ended up blowing mine which made quite a mess as you can imagine. If you are going to do 1 line and bleed the system, you mite as well do both.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

TJ Hopland

Later the heater line came off the back of the head and it was the water control valve that did the 90* turn to point it to the core.   Not sure if that was how they did it in 70 or not,  someone else will have to confirm or deny that.   Or is it that way and I just could not tell in the photos?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on March 19, 2018, 09:31:50 AM
I think you will find that these heater lines have been rerouted over the years. It is hard to tell from the pictures but I would not just assume the way yours are currently routed is correct..... but it works. The supply hose is a real pain to get on the block so you will lose a little knuckle skin in the process---but a job really isn't complete unless you have lost at least a little blood. The hose seems to weld itself to the heater core outlets over time. I didn't want to risk hurting it by twisting or pulling so I just sliced it on the nipple and peeled it back.
As far as the power steering goes I did the same thing as you. Didn't lose too much fluid and I just bled it without jacking the car-remember that is just the return line so a bubble there will work it's way out. However please check your pressure line. I ended up blowing mine which made quite a mess as you can imagine. If you are going to do 1 line and bleed the system, you mite as well do both.

Hi Jeff,
when I did the top one my friend Charlie (who owns 33 classic cars) told me to cut the hose off carefully as its probably welded to the heater core by now and its a copper connection. Trying to pull/twist it off would damage the heater core, he was right! I used a box cutter to make several slices in the hose at the connection and peeled it off carefully. I'll use the same procedure with the bottom one. The hose that goes to the block is 'new', its where you see them use a piece of pipe to connect to the old line to the core. I'll use an adapter to join my new piece of hose with the existing one. Now I just need a piece of heater hose that's 45 degrees and 3/4" on the short side and 5/8" on the other longer side. I'll reposition the hoses so the top is on top, etc.

The return line on the power steering looks recent, I think I'll leave that alone for now. Thanks for the 411 on the power steering bleed - assuming I'll just add fluid, turn the wheels, check the fluid, add fluid, wash, rinse, repeat until full. Thank you!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on March 19, 2018, 12:19:41 PM
Now I just need a piece of heater hose that's 45 degrees and 3/4" on the short side and 5/8" on the other longer side.
That hose was hard to find locally. I actually just went to my local auto parts store and looked at what they had and got a preformed heater hose for something like a Plymouth Acclaim. It was premoulded at the angle I needed and went from 1 size to another. It was quite long so I just trimmed it and used the portion with the bend and size change that I needed. I don't know if the Acclaim was the exact car but you know what I mean. Just try there and you should get what you need.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on March 19, 2018, 12:40:39 PM
That hose was hard to find locally. I actually just went to my local auto parts store and looked at what they had and got a preformed heater hose for something like a Plymouth Acclaim. It was premoulded at the angle I needed and went from 1 size to another. It was quite long so I just trimmed it and used the portion with the bend and size change that I needed. I don't know if the Acclaim was the exact car but you know what I mean. Just try there and you should get what you need.
Jeff

Yep, that's where I got the last one, Autozone. I have a long 3/4-3/4 45 degree hose here now I'm bringing back for the same in a 3/4 to 5/8, and a 5/8 adapter.
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Bob Kielar

Hello Laurie,
                    Is this the hose clamp you are having trouble getting off (see picture). If so this tool works great and is made for this. The tips swivel so you can get them on at different angles there not that expensive and work much better than pliers.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Bob Kielar on March 19, 2018, 02:26:04 PM
Hello Laurie,
                    Is this the hose clamp you are having trouble getting off (see picture). If so this tool works great and is made for this. The tips swivel so you can get them on at different angles there not that expensive and work much better than pliers.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar

Hi Bob,
that's the one! and the LAST one! I was at Hyannis Vintage today, showed them a pic. They'll take it off and let me work on the heater hose while 'dad' is working on the thermostat.
\m/
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Chas

Your bottom two photo's?......yup, that's the low pressure return line from the steering box to the pump. Looks like it's never been changed. I say that because the tower clamp next to the pump is the factory set-up. Most time it got replaced with a screw drive clamp when the hose was replaced. Now, how do you replace the hose without leaking power steering fluid all over? You need three or four hands! You can get little rubber hose nipples at one of the Big Box stores or your NAPA shop. They look like vacuum plugs, only much larger. Disconnect one end of your old hose at a time. When you pull the old hose over the pipe, with your other hand, quickly slide on one of your newly purchased rubber nipples. Ya gotta move quick, and unfortunately, no matter how quick you do move, there's gonna be a bit of leakage. Shop towels are a must! Installation of new hose is reverse of removal.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Chas on March 19, 2018, 05:58:00 PM
Your bottom two photo's?......yup, that's the low pressure return line from the steering box to the pump. Looks like it's never been changed. I say that because the tower clamp next to the pump is the factory set-up. Most time it got replaced with a screw drive clamp when the hose was replaced. Now, how do you replace the hose without leaking power steering fluid all over? You need three or four hands! You can get little rubber hose nipples at one of the Big Box stores or your NAPA shop. They look like vacuum plugs, only much larger. Disconnect one end of your old hose at a time. When you pull the old hose over the pipe, with your other hand, quickly slide on one of your newly purchased rubber nipples. Ya gotta move quick, and unfortunately, no matter how quick you do move, there's gonna be a bit of leakage. Shop towels are a must! Installation of new hose is reverse of removal.

Hey Chas,
I'm gonna get all MacGyver with this, LOL! I bought 3' of hose, so I'm going to cut 2 - 1" pieces. Pull off an end of hose, put a plastic sandwich bag over the pipe then press on the small hose piece. Repeat on the other end. Should buy just enough time to cut the new hose to the old hose's length, get the 2 new clamps in position, and install before the D6 eats the sandwich bag. The car is parked on my side lawn, where the Shelter Logic will be built when it goes into the shop. Not really worried about dripping. I'm going to give that power steering pump a good spray with brake cleaner to get the oil off it. Then a nice coat of gloss black paint. I'll do this before I change the hose.
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

35-709

Believe they were more of a semi-gloss when new, if you wanna be more correct.   :)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on March 20, 2018, 02:02:24 PM
Believe they were more of a semi-gloss when new, if you wanna be more correct.   :)

SEMI gloss it is!  :-*

\m/
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville