News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

76 engine for eldorado

Started by Jeffp, January 19, 2019, 12:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffp

Looking for new or rebuild.  Searced a bunch without much luck.  Any info or leads appreciated.

Jpurvis

The Tassie Devil(le)

Any of the rear wheel drive engines will also fit.   Just have to change the sump and oil pump pickup, and dip stick with that of your old engine.   You do have an old engine?

1970 to '76 Eldorado and you could even go for a 472 if nothing in the 500 range is available, but I find that hard to believe.

What part of the Country are you in?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jeff,
To repeat Bruce, what part of the country or world are you in, and exactly wht is the problem with your engine? A lot of good rebuilders out there but they seem to be"hidden".
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Jeffp

I live in Cumming, Georgia which is about 45 miles north of Atlanta.  The engine I had basically blew out.  There was a lot of compression escaping to the point that the car would not move.  Lot of loud rattling at the front lower part of the engine.

If I was to guess, it sounds like you may have lost a timing chain. This issue has been covered extensively and I won't go into it here, but in an eldo I can be a major job. I trust somone in the Atlanta area will come into this conversation with a suggestion for a source.  Do you plan on doing the work yourself or do you have a mechanic?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Jeffp

Greg,

I actually do have a mechanic who has done a lot of work on older cars including cadillac.  He is near retirement though and doesn't want to be bothered chasing down things that are difficult to find.

I found a shop in Arizona that is really impressive but their bare bones motors start at about 8000.  I was hoping to get out way cheaper than that.  Thanks for your response.

Jpurvis

Jeff,
My suggestion is that you ask your mechanic for the name of a machine shop he has used and approves of and contact them.  Atlanta has quite a few capeable of this work.  Cos for a complete rebuild should run somewhere between $4,000. and $5,000.  plus the installation labor.  Too bad you are not closer since I have a freshly rebuilt 500 inch short block that now doesnt have a home.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

35-709

Jeff, shipping an engine isn't all that expensive.  If it were me and I needed an engine, I would be all over Greg's engine in a heartbeat!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2