News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1941 Cadillac Medallions - Paint recommendations

Started by J. Russo, January 01, 2022, 01:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

I've read several posts and reviewed the 1941 Authenticity Manual. I have some medallions and fog light covers I would like to repaint and am looking for recommendations on what type/brand paint to use for Gold, Black and Translucent Red.

I haven't seen a reference to which type (Gloss, Semi-gloss, etc.) black paint to use and want to make sure I purchase the correct gold and translucent red paints.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. 

Thank you
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

carlhungness

Karla Maxwell is (at least) one of the premier emblem restoration experts in the US, her work has been on Pebble Beach winners. She helped me along with restoration of the hubcap ad grille emblems on my '37 LaSalle which I did myself and came out acceptable.
        I used Testor's gloss paint, her recommendation.
        If your emblems are chrome plated with paint remember to use Uphol on the chrome to make the paint stick.
         Good luck, it was a very tricky and tedious process to do the V-8 emblems and the hubcap emblems as mine were dented and I worked for hours upon hours getting them ready for plating/paint. I don't think your emblems will require a baking process, just plating and paint.
          I think I  hand-painted the V-8 emblems 4-5 times before I obtained a result that was acceptable. Luckily, I am still steady as a rock and I can see that anyone who has even minor tremors is going to have a difficult time. I'm spraying the hubcap emblems after hours of masking off the LaS that is stamped onto them. Here's some before photos. I literally used a pin to nudge paint into the 'dog's nose' that is on the grille emblem along with a strong magnifier to see what I was doing. I've never done a more tedious task in my life than getting paint into the crevices necessary on the grille emblem.