News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1959 Brake Booster question

Started by Caseyjames89, June 10, 2023, 09:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caseyjames89

Hello! Slowly making Progress on the 59 Restoration process- but have a questions about brakes-

Looking into replacing the brake booster and Master cylinder. Is there a standard GM replacement option that will work or is the only option the roughly $400 one I've found from quick google searches?

Also, can anyone give me a brief description as to how the "power brakes" function in a 59?

Thanks in advance!

Moody

For an updated system, several have used the booster and MC from a '69 Cadillac, but they are hard to find anymore. Also, the MC has to match your brake arrangement of 4 non disk brakes.
The power brakes work just as modern power brakes do, sans the electrical sensors and anti-skid components.
You could just get your original booster rebuilt as well.
Moody

Michael Petti

Rebuild if possable. There are a variety of places to do it. Replacement parts are really poor quality today. See my post about checking parts carefully in General Discussion. I used Power Brake Exchange in Pittsburgh. Ask for Harold. Good job at reasonable price. Prices may be higher after 3 years though.

TomJudd

Had my 58 bendix rebuilt last year. Midwest Power Brake  Prod. 352 419 4122. TOP NOTCH all around ! They resleeve w SS . Look and perform 100%. Highly recommend. $600 ish, worth every penny. good luck. Gotta go, takin the 58 out !