News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1929 Cadillac Transmission Help

Started by john29cad, August 05, 2023, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john29cad

Hello,
By mistake I drained the tranny fluid instead of the oil when changing my oil in my '29.  I read the 29 shop manual but couldn't find anything out there about where to add transmission fluid. I'm thinking it's the cap on top accessible from inside the engine compartment.   Could someone please advise?
Thanks,
John

V63

Seems I just checked a 1930 model and it should be on the side of the transmission? Square pipe plug about midway forward right side, it's full at that level.

john29cad

Great. I'll check it out, next time I will not be talking to someone when I'm under there.  It takes 2.5 quarts, is there a preferred oil?

V63

I like to substitute 1 qt LUCAS oil stabilizer (see label for manual transmissions)

Royal purple makes an additive as well.

john29cad

I talked with a couple of '29 Cad owners and they recommended 85W140 gear oil, which you can get a NAPA.
Thanks,
John