News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Have you seen the chroming process "live"?

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, January 12, 2024, 10:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Brought The Ark's bumpers (8 pieces?) to New England Chrome in Hartford CT today. Two and half hours from here,
LONG but easy ride; 6, 25, 495, 90, 84, then take a right...

Owner Dean gave me the tour from drop off to credit card swipe, oh my God. They'll chrome, anything.
With my interest in things automotive the attention to detail, AGONIZING DETAIL, is extraordinary.
So much work, very physical too. Watching these guys, seeing the process was a treat. But the stench,
the chemicals, the steam from the 'baths'... No one wearing gloves or respirators where it actually
makes sense versus trying to prevent catching a cold. These guys will never get sick, from anything.
Every inch of their interiors has been chrome plated. The grinding, welding if necessary, more grinding,
sanding, the copper induction, electric hook ups, "baths". I admit 90% of this went over my head. The finished
products were like the finest jewelry you've ever seen, mirror finish. Really glad I saw this, certainly
explains the price.  https://newenglandchrome.com/

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

James Landi

Apparently, your parts are at the right place. Many years ago, we purchased a 72 Eldorado that had been someone's ''baby.'' The seller, a CLC guy, explained that some of the re-chromed pieces were peeling because the former owner opted for what he called, ''show chrome.'' I don't know exactly what that means; perhaps someone on the forum will discuss the quality differences in re-chroming.     James

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: James Landi on January 13, 2024, 07:15:03 AMApparently, your parts are at the right place. Many years ago, we purchased a 72 Eldorado that had been someone's ''baby.'' The seller, a CLC guy, explained that some of the re-chromed pieces were peeling because the former owner opted for what he called, ''show chrome.'' I don't know exactly what that means; perhaps someone on the forum will discuss the quality differences in re-chroming.     James

Here's the girl 'splanation:
"Show chrome" is using a can of spray paint on your house.
"Replating" is sanding off all of the old paint, priming then painting by hand.
The shop does something similar there, they call it 'race chrome'.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

badpoints

All chrome on cars is show chrome. The term is misused to mean a better quality chrome job. If the chrome is pealing then it is because the shop messed up.

59-in-pieces

Girlsplane, how a company that plates chrome - mucho toxico - exists in the northeast, and chrome shops here in So Cal. are death.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on January 13, 2024, 05:31:35 PMGirlsplane, how a company that plates chrome - mucho toxico - exists in the northeast, and chrome shops here in So Cal. are death.

Have fun,
Steve B.

Bro, you live in Commiefornia. Its Canada with nicer weather. Not just the northeast, freakin' CT! Or CA East as we call it. The sales tax on this job is 12%. They're using the GOOD chemicals on The Ark's bumpers, the ones Biden banned, hence the co$t. Whatever at this point, just make it purty.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

wrefakis

i had a bumper done 2 years ago,please provide names of chrome process chemicals that biden banned