News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado Concept Motorama Show Car

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, August 31, 2012, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrench

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

N Kahn

Got a lot done this weekend, I cleaned some wire terminals and got the antenna to work. I started assembling the grille which was a real chore, I'm waiting on the vertical pieces which are being made by a waterjet.

Here's the hood and fender moldings installed, the one I made is the driver's side, the passenger one is the original, neither fit particularly well, I don't think they ever did, you should see the wallered out holes and hand made fabrication on this car, I guess it's evidence that it really was hand made.
My friend restored a Jensen, you should have seen the work on this beast, the frame rails were made from heavy walled water pipe. Some of the fiberglass body was an inch thick in some places and tree bark thin in others.

The hood molding was incredibly rough, I can't believe the job Spacecoast Plating did on it, all the edges are still sharp and not polished round, I can't say enough about their work.

N Kahn

The radiator support panel will get some love, rust holes fixed and painted before the grille is hung back on.
I'm eagerly awaiting the return of my bumpers and headlight pods so I can drive here to the grocery store again.

Guidematic

What model of Jensen? That was an interesting company, not known for quality or reliability, especially given the price of the cars. But they were high performers with the Chrysler sourced engines. However bad it was, the Interceptor FF was a pioneer in that it offered all wheel drive and anti-lock brakes in 1966.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Wonderful progress as usual Nadeem and your perseverance is to be envied.

*What began as a thread about this car being for sale has long since become about the car's authenticity, history and restoration processes therefore "...For Sale" has been removed from the end of thread title. Content remains unchanged.

Carry on...
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

N Kahn

Look at this gem I found.

I bought this original photo on ebay, it's from 1961 for the Chicago Auto Show, it's hard to tell but there are ribbed aluminum moldings across the bottom just like on my car, but the skeg's not extended to the ends of the fenders, interesting car. I wish I could scan a better copy and blow it up.

Guidematic, I don't what year it was, it must have been early 60s, it had quad canted headlights and pontoons over the fenders like a Mercedez Benz 300SL, it had a big block Chrysler and it was right hand drive. I loved it.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The main difference I notice between the car in the pic and your car is that your car has the full wheel cutouts; this one has the rear fender skirts.

Interesting photo all the same. A great addition to your archive.

*Also, it looks as if the front bumper might be all chrome unlike the chrome/fiberglass bumper on your car.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadimec

Firstly, congratulations on a wonderful find, and bravo for your work to date.   (was up reading through the threads & links till the wee small hours...)  A couple of thoughts to offer:  the factory photo with the roof up & passenger door open (non-GuideMatic dash) - is it possible that car was the twin - i.e. the "Bing Crosby" car?   If, as it appears so far, they merely customised regular production cars, perhaps some options were random.   I note that your car doesn't appear to have the power pulldown - which I understood was standard on the Eldorados - so was that a "random deletion" perhaps?   I have photos of an experimental Riviera convertible - with GuideMatic & wondered why they would bother with options which weren't central to the design experiment at hand....and when most of these were reputedly crushed afterwards.  (this goes to accounting/expenses of creating such cars).   The second comment concerns your factory Auto Show photo of the production car - again with the extruded aluminium trim (later also on Riviera Gran Sports of 1965).  They appear to have added an emblem as well.   I have noticed that the captions on factory photos were (necessarily) brief, and the "mauve mouton carpet" may have been but one of a host of custom-features on that car; it would be interesting if any more photos of it exist, to compare to yours.   Oh - and a final thought on the "missing plate" - is it possible that it was removed, BY Cadillac, once the car(s) were to be sold to the public?   One presumes it would have been taken "out of the accounting/off the company books", and if the main purpose of that plate was ostensibly accounting-related, this could explain it.   The car doesn't seem to be too tampered with, so its absence is very curious.   

It's hard to tell from the photos, but I see wood veneer where the dash radio speaker should be - was this moved perhaps to the upper front part of the console? 

Keep up the good work,
Tim Stephens
1963 Buick Riviera
1974 Fleetwood Talisman
1974 Coupe deVille
1974 Eldorado Coupé
1976 Seville (RHD)
1979 Seville San Remo Convertible
1990 Superior Crown Sovereign Hearse
1993 Sixty Special

N Kahn

What is a power pull down?
The clear old photo of the interior clearly doesn't have an Autronic Eye on the dashboard, it's a real mystery, maybe there were two but surely some documentation has to exist.
Also on the date provided from GM states the car to have an INFORA, which I believe was an acronym for an infolding roof as was tried on the Buick Riviera experimental but this car has a stock top.
The car in the 1961 auto show pic also has a parade boot.
I can post pics of my carpet tomorrow, maybe someone can tell me if it's Mouton, it doesn't look like regular carpet.

Thanks for all the info Tim.

David King (kz78hy)

If mouton, it is sheep skin fur, sewn together.  This was a standard choice on the Brougham's and very hard to find today.  I am searching again to find a supplier of pelts to make a carpet for my car.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

76eldo

Power pull down refers to a motorized trunk latch.  You close the trunk gently and a latch grabs and pulls the trunk down to the fully closed position.  Pretty useless gadget and most fail at some point.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Glen

The pull down is a neat option; wish I had one on my Eldo. 

Most of them fail because they were not made to withstand slamming the trunk closed like most people are accustomed to.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

I like the option, as one doesn't have to slam the trunk.

Wish there was one on the hood.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

N Kahn

N Kahn

Guidematic

I love the pull downs, and they work great if they are not abused, like slamming the lid down. And it's a great source of fascination for folk that have never seen one.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

76eldo

I think the later ones fail more than the early beefier ones but most of the late 70's and 80's cads that I have owned have failed.  Even the one on my 99 failed and I have it adjusted and locked down and unplugged and the trunk closes easily.

All the Allantes use these to pull down the back of the convertible and hold it to the rear deck. Most of them fail.

They are neat when they work, but a bit silly, I mean the release is functional and useful but I can do without the pull down and associated repairs.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadimec

Concerning the mouton carpets: a fellow in the Danish Cadillac Club mentioned an Eldorado Brougham owner nearby "having the Mouton carpets made" - the THOUGHT that was costing $ 5000!!  I have a similar bind with my '74 Talisman - for the robe and pillow - I got the pillow, but not the robe which according to the data book was "Medici crushed velour lined with Mouton fur" - they probably killed a whole herd of acrylics to make those!   Doubtless, the 1950's/60's "mouton" was real sheepskin whereas the 70's version was synthetic material - like the clothes worn by the Mod Squad.

I'm surprised at the power pull-down remarks.  This option is The Way and The Light of our Church.  It is endlessly entertaining ($5.00 if you watch, $ 10.00 if you close the trunk yourself).  Unfortunately, the 1977 & later plastic-housing units are weak, under-engineered and, occasionally psychotic.  (anyone seen the ones which go up, then down but never latch in the closed position, taking the trunk lid up & down with them?)   I'm not a fan of the  1962-73 mechanical pull-down systems - no theatre in those.  No, there's nothing quite like the scream of the nylon gears in the 1974-76 (Eld 77 & 78 as well) pull-downs - they mean business.  Mercedes were so impressed, they stole the idea for the S-class passenger doors as well.   Do-it-yourself-trunk-closing is for people who drive...Chevrolets & things like that.
1963 Buick Riviera
1974 Fleetwood Talisman
1974 Coupe deVille
1974 Eldorado Coupé
1976 Seville (RHD)
1979 Seville San Remo Convertible
1990 Superior Crown Sovereign Hearse
1993 Sixty Special

cadimec

1963 Buick Riviera
1974 Fleetwood Talisman
1974 Coupe deVille