News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

39 lasalle howling

Started by BOBBY G, January 01, 2019, 04:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOBBY G

im HEARING A SMALL HOWL WHEN I DE ACCERATE ON MY 39 LASALLE
I DONT KNOW WHERE ITS CMING FROM . REAR END OR TRANSMISSION ??

IVE HAD ALL THE TRANS LINKAGE SEALED AND WONDER IF IF WHEN REINSTALLED THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG
OR MAYBE IN REAR END I PUT 145/85 OIL TO QUIET IT DOWN
ANY THOTS APPRECIATED

thx bobbyg

Bobby B

Drop the Trans into neutral and see what happens. Also try it with/without the clutch depressed. See if the tone of the howl changes at all. Is the correct fluid type and level in the Trans and Rear? Gear whines on De-acceleration are usually related to incorrect/worn ring and pinion relationship......
                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jay Friedman

To add to what Art the 49er said, if I remember there is a test for a bad rear wheel bearing.  Turn from side to side when you hear the noise and if the noise changes as you are turning, it's a sign you may very well have a bad rear wheel bearing.  It's because the bad bearing will be rotating either faster or slower in a turn.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

BOBBY G

THX TO BOB  ART AND  JAY U HAVE CONFIRMED MY THOTS
THX BOBBYG