News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Allante Starter Question

Started by Dulcidog2, August 20, 2020, 08:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dulcidog2

Have an 89 Allante, it’s been sitting a while. Went to start it today. Lights all came on but Nothingmfrom motor , not even a click. I’m assuming starter? These didn’t have neutral safety switch or anything did they. Is it the type of thing I can bang on the starter. I know Allante are headaches but this is a new one, any thoughts appreciated
Bill Lawlor

cadillacmike68

Battery cables may have internally corroded. disconnect them try to clean and re-connect. You may want to charge the battery first.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

James Landi

I owned a 90 Allante, and there was a problem in the console with the neutral safety switch not making contact.  It took some "doing" at the Cadillac service department to trace down the issue, in part, because they initially suspected that the anti thief ignition key circuitry was the problem.  I recall that I did get the starter to engage ONCE by moving the shift lever back and forth while holding the key in the start mode.  Again, my problem was clearly located in the floor console with the neutral safety switch, so it was an electrical disconnect from the starter solenoid.   Hope this helps, James

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Did 1989 have the key with the anti-theft chip in it? I recall that these can fail with age and produce a no-crank condition.

76eldo

I’d start with charging the battery and cleaning the cable ends first.
You can bypass the VATS system with a resistor on the white wires coming out of the steering column. Measure the chip which is actually only a resistor on your key.
The reader in the ignition switches go bad.

Contact Johnny Monzo or Dick Hussey for more info.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS