News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966-1972 POA for a/c systems conversion to R134

Started by Scot Minesinger, August 06, 2013, 10:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

I have converted over many cars to 134.  usually I replace the hoses, expansion valve, POA, and dryer (at condenser).  Then flush out evaporator, compressor and condenser with a/c pro - all per directions.  The POA is from USA Parts all set up for R134, and looks a little different than factory R12 unit.  I have seen other conversions where they just change the low and high side fittings.  At GN the judges dinged me for using this R134 POA.  I have been helping judges at AACA and GN before and they never took off for R134 conversions.  I objected and the judges raised the hood of a car that the fittings were just changed, complete with original hoses as a defense.  I still think that they are wrong, but you can't always fight city hall.

Question, can the original POA really be used for R134?  The judges said I need to send it to Cold Air Products to be recalibrated.  I would rather do that myself.  How do you calibrate it for R134?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
The P.O.A. is designed to maintain a minimum evaporator pressure of 28 to 32 pounds.  The purpose of that pressure is to eoliminate icing the evaporator coil.  28- 32 pounds with R-12 will give you an evaporator temperature of from 30 to 34 degrees.  Allowing for the temperature differential that is necessary for heat transfer, this amounts to a minimum air temperature of 34 to 38 degrees.  Above the frost point.
With R-134a. the same pressure range results in an evaporator temperature of from 32 to 37 degrees.  There is no reason that a "stock" POA will not work and be able to provide maximum cooling (taking into account the 20% loss due to loss of compressor efficiency using R-134a in an R-12 compressor) at summertime design conditions.  The POA comes into play at reduced loads, typically non summer conditions, and a 2-3 degree increase in evaporator (and off evaporator air) temperature will not be apparent.
Calibration of the POA requires adjusting the stem on the spring shaft as seen from the evaporator inlet side of the POA.  There are countless cars using standard(ly) adjusted POA's, but you can, if you set up a test gage "system" get a couple of pounds of adjustment.  I personally wouldn't think it worth the effort.
Do you, by the way (I did not notice last week) have the replacement ()for the POA that has a compressor cycling switch, or is it an actual modified POA?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

Greg,

Nice to meet you at GN.  Thanks again for starter assistance, made it home without any trouble.

The POA on my red caddy is the stock factory unit.  The car was converted over already before purchase in 2005 and did cool well.  I changed out the hoses, condenser, and dryer for cosmetics.  The car that I ask about actually won first place in 1967-1970 class primary and I restored the climate control, cooling system, vacuum hoses, charging, power steering, cosmetics, clock, and finished body to frame bushing installation.  If I'm going to lose, best to lose to a car that I worked on.  I used the revised POA with cycling switch on this car.  The owner told me about this judging and I guess we should put the original valve back in the car.

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
If the car is to be a "show car" then authenticity is paramount.  Also if the car is meant to be driven frequently, the A-6 compressors do not hold up under conditions where you cycle them for temperature control.  When for conversations sake you are cruising down the road at 70 MPH and the compressor has cycled off, switching it on will be in a non (pressures) balanced condition, not with the pressures equalized when started up from an extended (20 minutes +) rest.  You are also taking a stationary compressor from rest to (approximately) 4000 RPM. It was not designed to do that.  I personally believe that is why AC Delco has ceased making new compressors and is ceaseing re-manufacturing of re-builts.  Too many were being cycled and the results has been a very significant failure rate.
Good meeting you and look forward to next year.  We will be down in your neck of the woods the last week in August (this year). Have a time share in Massanutten, and doing a couple of "Book signings" (Barbara not me) in Charlottesville and Richmond.
Keep the faith.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-