News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Another Body shop story

Started by 60eldo, September 20, 2019, 08:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby B

Quote from: 60eldo on October 06, 2019, 11:36:17 AM
Anyway mine is nicer. LOL

Who's car is in that picture? Is that Yours???
                                               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Big Fins

No worries, Bobby. We got Jonny a seeing eye dog!  ;)
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Bobby B

Quote from: Big Fins on October 06, 2019, 04:04:54 PM
No worries, Bobby. We got Jonny a seeing eye dog!  ;)

OMG! Now I feel really BAD......
                          Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: rwchatham CLC 21892 on October 06, 2019, 11:24:06 AM
It has the wrong hubcaps the interior is wrong so it’s priced right at 22k . Buy it for 20 and it’s a good buy to put back right . Would have made a way better starting point than the eBay car for 12 . You have to remember even finished a 60 Seville is only going to bring 45 k or so , so this car is priced right at 20k put another 25k  in it and have a nice driving car . 60 Seville’s just don’t bring big money when you can get 60 Biarritz s all day long under 100 k.

That's why I posted it...it's a much better starting point.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

INTMD8

Quote from: Big Fins on October 06, 2019, 01:37:12 PM
Plus it will have a 'Collectability Level' of D-.   ;)

;D ;D ;D

Agreed with what most others are saying. If you can get a nice driver for 45k that has to be the best route to go.

You'll spend way more and years of your life to restore one.  Can't afford to write a check for 45k just get a loan. Will be less per month than you'll spend on restoring it.

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: INTMD8 on October 07, 2019, 01:23:39 PM
;D ;D ;D

Can't afford to write a check for 45k just get a loan. Will be less per month than you'll spend on restoring it.

You know, that is one way to look at it that I never really thought of.  Everything is done on payments these days, so why not?  Sure the interest will make a bit of a premium on top of the whole thing, but, that would be offset by the cost of the project vehicle whereas the principal would be offset by the cost of restoration, so it would seem like a wash at first glance.  The difference is you can drive and enjoy now.

Up here, you can get a line of credit for starting as low as 4.5% - cost of borrowing is pretty cheap.
Dan LeBlanc

76eldo

It’s the best way to go. You can’t compare the thrill of getting a nice car and immediately enjoying it as compared to years of work and putting up with body shops, chrome shops and interior shops that rip you off and take years to do a job.

There are some top notch shops out there but you better be prepared to spend some serious money to get a car done right and on a reasonable time frame.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

SixDucks

Hmm..... interesting concept.  I never really  put any thought to the buy now pay later being more cost effective in the long run. My normal approach has ALWAYS been save up and pay cash.  However I missed a Sausalito Green '71 Eldorado convertible recently because I refused to take a loan out to purchase it. I quickly started to liquidate only auto related assets to fund the purchase and that one slipped away. I was dead set against touching any savings that was not earmarked for the purchase of a '71 Eldorado convertible. In hindsight I should have probably financed the shortage and paid off the loan. Could've, would've, should've.

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillac ken

Quote from: INTMD8 on October 07, 2019, 01:23:39 PM
;D ;D ;D

Agreed with what most others are saying. If you can get a nice driver for 45k that has to be the best route to go.

You'll spend way more and years of your life to restore one.  Can't afford to write a check for 45k just get a loan. Will be less per month than you'll spend on restoring it.

Absolutely.  Even with the interest charge over the life of the loan, it will pale in comparison to the amount of money spent on restoring one. 

Now with that said you still need to vet any car you look at.  Today the amount of cars "restored" for resale are in large numbers.  When figuring ones profit margin upon retail it can severely affect the quality and extent of the work done for that purpose. As always buyer beware-- even at the big auctions there can be some real ugly builds hiding beneath the surface under those pretty lights. I've seen it for myself.

Restoration of a special car (to you) is the only time I can see the expense justified.  And I can tell you I have a shop full of them.  Cars folks owned since high school, dated their current wife in, brought their kids home from the hospital in, the car their dad left to them, and so on.  Folks don't want any nice (insert marque, year, and model) car.  They want their car and fully understand that it simply costs way more to do it than to buy the same model done correctly.

Dan LeBlanc

Ken makes a valid point on restoration and sentimental value.

Case in point - when my father passed on 2 years ago, I inherited his tools and his 1954 Ford NAA tractor.  No amount of money will buy that tractor and my intention is to restore it.  I could buy one in show condition for around $5k and it will cost me about that to restore his.  It ran out of gas at the end of my driveway a couple of weeks ago.  3 separate people stopped in while I was doing other things within an hour asking if it was for sale.  I turned them all down, and they were 3 good offers considering the condition of the tractor.

My wife sort of gets it, thankfully.  Sometimes, even if it doesn't make sense, you just do it, but there has to be a motivating factor, otherwise you lose interest and the internet is full of projects for sale where folks have lost interest.

After the 3rd guy that day, I hopped in my car, got gas, and tucked it back in the garage.  I still take it down the road once in awhile just to keep things working, but it needs everything gone through. 
Dan LeBlanc

INTMD8

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on October 07, 2019, 02:46:57 PM
You know, that is one way to look at it that I never really thought of.  Everything is done on payments these days, so why not?  Sure the interest will make a bit of a premium on top of the whole thing, but, that would be offset by the cost of the project vehicle whereas the principal would be offset by the cost of restoration, so it would seem like a wash at first glance.  The difference is you can drive and enjoy now.

Up here, you can get a line of credit for starting as low as 4.5% - cost of borrowing is pretty cheap.

Yes you will have some interest cost but I think it still works out much better. (agreed with above, throw all this out the window if we are talking about a car with sentimental value).

So, 45k @ 4.5% for 60 months is zero down, $839 a month.

Or, buy a project and spend the next 5 years and 50k+ restoring it. 

In this case that's comparatively 12k down and $833 a month. (plus a few thousand hours of labor)

I have saved myself a bit of money recently (probably 60k) by buying a partially completed project and finishing it myself.  Was a lot of work but I bought the car for less than the previous owner had just in parts and body/paint.  Not to mention a huge head start on time. It took me one year instead of several.

Big Fins

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on October 08, 2019, 12:03:17 PM

My wife sort of gets it, thankfully.

That's what it took for my cars. People stopping in while I work on them and ask if it is for sale. When she hears the offers, she just looks at me knowing what I paid and have in it.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

76eldo

This is the thread someone was looking for.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Except for the rarest circumstances, I would never recommend the use of borrowed money for the purchase of a vintage car.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillac ken

It all depends on where you are in life.  Kids in college or going to college, huge house payment, and so on,  then I'd agree probably not the time to take a loan for a big toy.

But, house paid for, kids grown, all other expenditures well under control, then I can see it. 

I hear folks say all the time "I can't afford that" when in reality they simply, IMHO, want too much.  Most folks that say that to me already have a fishing boat, a Harley, a couple of jet skis, a decked out $60,000 pick up truck (they are paying on) and at least one old car already in their garage. 

For me the old adage "living beyond your means" comes to mind.

76eldo

Eric,

Money is cheap right now. I’ve been fortunate and have been able to buy my cars for cash.  What I’m saying is that you can sometimes find a nice car for sale at a good price and negotiate the price too. Estate sales, divorce sales, these things pop up sometimes. So let’s say you can find a car of your dreams that someone is selling for $25,000. You really want the car but you only have $5000 or $10,000. Of you buy a non running, rusty car rust needs chrome and interior you are going to pay at least $35,000 to $$40,000 or possibly much more to restore the cheaper car. You are also going to have to deal with numerous shops for paint and body, upholstery, chrome, find missing or damaged parts plus the time factor. Possibly years!!!

Or get a home equity loan for 4 percent and buy an appreciating classic, get to drive it right away and enjoy the car and make payments and still come out ahead even with the interest.

There are lots and lots of nice Caddy’s for sale all the time. That’s my opinion.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: 76eldo on October 24, 2019, 09:58:37 AM
Eric,

Money is cheap right now. I’ve been fortunate and have been able to buy my cars for cash.  What I’m saying is that you can sometimes find a nice car for sale at a good price and negotiate the price too. Estate sales, divorce sales, these things pop up sometimes. So let’s say you can find a car of your dreams that someone is selling for $25,000. You really want the car but you only have $5000 or $10,000. Of you buy a non running, rusty car rust needs chrome and interior you are going to pay at least $35,000 to $$40,000 or possibly much more to restore the cheaper car. You are also going to have to deal with numerous shops for paint and body, upholstery, chrome, find missing or damaged parts plus the time factor. Possibly years!!!

Or get a home equity loan for 4 percent and buy an appreciating classic, get to drive it right away and enjoy the car and make payments and still come out ahead even with the interest.

There are lots and lots of nice Caddy’s for sale all the time. That’s my opinion.

If it's a once in a lifetime find, bargain etc., then I say go for it. That's why I prefaced by saying "Except for the rarest of circumstances...".  ;) Barring that, purchasing a collector car on credit is not a good idea as a for the average buyer paying full market value as a general rule.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

marty55cdv

I like having money in my savings account so I have no problem saying I have borrowed money from my 401k @ 4 % to buy 3 of my current cars which I have paid myself back for . I don't really see a difference between a collector car and a Boat or Side by Side 4 wheeler, camping trailer etc.  Most people buy these on credit with drawn out terms so they can afford the payment and by the time they are through paying for them they have depreciated and maybe worth 40 percent of the original cost.  I do not look at my cars as investments they are what I choose to spend money on as a hobby.  But the cars did cause me to buy a different home 9 years ago with a larger lot so I could build a garage to put them in. I do look at that as an investment and with the housing market going crazy here in Salt Lake in the past few years, my home has appreciated about 32% .
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

59-in-pieces

Admittedly I stopped reading when this post jumped the tracks and got off topic, but since it got to a 5 page post, I started to read the most recent posts.

But, the HORROR !

As often happens within any group it comes down to MONEY - and who has MORE.
TRANSLATION - competition for points or awards or envy becomes more about DOLLARS than SENSE.
And yes, I spelled that right - not cents.

All the great Concourse event cars have little or nothing to do with the owner turning a wrench or working with their hands, but which restoration shop was PAID MORE to win a prize or adulation for the owner.

This forum has its share of such folks and the discussions about loans to have it NOW than PERSONALLY WORKING FOR IT over time are perfect examples of what members have railed against about the Disposable Society and the "I want it now generation" - and my personal favorite is a combination of the two = LEASE IT NOW which feeds instant gratification, then turn the leased car in, then sign and repeat.... don't BUY, that takes more commitment to accumulate the money, and even more to fix up that classic.

I for one say if you are too old to do the work or you have the bucks from which ever source - as NIKE says - just do it.

But for me - working with my hands to the extent of my education - training - experience is far more personally fulfilling than writing a check - regardless of whatever financial resources are available.

From one of the Old School and a Dying Breed - drop the MICrophone.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher