News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The Huntsman - 1949 Convertible Restoration

Started by CadillacGlasses, January 05, 2022, 04:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacGlasses

I switched to working on my convertible top frame over the weekend. Its almost complete, and I got it on the car. I'm not sure what happened during the course of the restoration, but the drivers side fits too tightly, and the header bow is barely lining up with the windshield.

Talked to the interior shop and they're pretty sure it'll all work out when they get the cloth on and hydraulics installed. So next I'm onto testing my Hydro pump and sorting out rebuilding if needed. The pistons definitely need to be replaced.

M. Herbert

29645 - CLC West of Lake, CLCMRC Board Member

1949 Series 62 Conv. (in progress)

CadillacGlasses

I'm moving onto my hydro system. Looking at my pump, its been sitting for an unknown amount of years, so I think its wise to just send it to Hydro-E in Florida (https://www.hydroe.com/) and have it rebuilt.

As soon as I came back from UPS, my fuel pump arrived, so now its time to swap that out and see what happens. Need to paint it blue first.
M. Herbert

CadillacGlasses

I have a question - Hydro-lectric top controls - Which is the right component for activating the top?

As mentioned, this whole system was missing on the car, but I have the Valve assembly mounted to the firewall.

Looking at my Fisher Body Service Manual, I find this page showing an arm that activates the valve assembly on an arm.

This is different than the control switch I bought, which seemed like the right one (I've seen this on Buicks and Chevy's this vintage)

Pretty sure I have the wrong switch. Can anyone point me towards what I need to install for this? 

Thanks
M. Herbert

CadillacGlasses

I've been able to find some solid info on the Top Lever lately.

Firstly, I've concluded that the knob I have is for a different vehicle (looks like an early Chevy). After a bunch of internet searching, I found the style similar to what is in those manuals, which was shared with Pontiacs/Olds/Buicks. I'm missing the linkage from the valve to the knob, but it looks easily made. I'm hoping I can operate the top by manually rotating the Valve on the firewall.. because the car goes to upholstery tomorrow..

The top pump is rebuilt and almost ready to install, I've been trying to understand the wiring and think I have it laid out correctly so far. My kit came with a PS and DS mini harness, and I assume this is for pumps (like Olds/Buick) that are mounted on the driver side of the car. Attached are pics from my manual that have been guiding me.

The hard part will be confident I have my hydro lines right... that's not very well defined in the manuals...
M. Herbert

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I feel your pain Mike..

I've been struggling with a 1947 series 62 convertible project and I was able to get the Hydro system to work.....the Fisher Body manual is really lacking....

First I had to get the pump rebuilt (no pressure) then the fluid wouldn't pass thru that hydro valve under the dash....I then had that valve rebuilt by Hydro-E in Florida.

My control valve is like yours, it works the convertible top by that rod your going to have to make....a threaded end goes into your new knob and the valve end of the rod is held in place by a set screw.....the Allen wrench was like 3/32s, real small...

My Cadillac pump has three ports, two of which get used....one return and one pressure.

The return on my pump is just under the metal tag for Delco-Remy and the other port is pressure....the pressure port faces the back of the car....that pressure hose leaves the pump and goes into the car and feeds the windows....I followed the line that went to the drivers window...that's pressure.

The return line feeds the convertible top valve and that valve controls flow up and down of the top frame....You can work that valve by hand if you need to...

Pray you don't have to pull that control valve out for a rebuild....there are 4 hard lines that go to it and it's a real pain to get at those lines.......

Good Luck !!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

59-in-pieces

Mike,

I was lazy to look back over your previous posts, but where did you find the convertible frame grey rubber nipples shown in this photo.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

David King (kz78hy)

I believe I bought them from CPR Cadillac Restoration Parts.  Give them a call and see if they still have them.  https://cprrestorationparts.com
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region