News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Fleetwood Brougham Tune Up Question

Started by dannygila, June 12, 2022, 07:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannygila

Hello,
I would like to do a tune up on my 1976 Fleetwood with the 500ci. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which spark plugs (and brand) would be best to use? I see there are copper ones, platinum, iridium, double platinum, etc. Would going with ACDelco for everything (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.) be the way to go? Thanks.
-Dan

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I've found the best for my stock motors is exactly what the FSM calls for.
Spark Plugs:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=90017&cc=1409374&pt=7212&jsn=492
Cap, rotor and wires AC Delco, although having been "cheapened up" over the last decade, are IMHO still adequate and will last for the recommended usage periods.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

For sure I would stick with a standard copper plug which are darn near a special order part these days.  Parts stores only seem to stock the fancy ones even for old applications like this.  Brand I don't really think it makes much difference these days, any of the big ones AC, NGK, Champ, Autolite.

For wires I like the Belden ones that I think Napa sells.  I still like the Standard Ignition brand too. Cap and rotor again I like Standard Ignition especially their Blue Streak line.  Note that the caps and rotors for GM V8's were mostly the same so even though it may not be listed as fitting many of the hot rod brands work too like a MSD or Accell.  In the past I have got those kits off the hot rod self in the parts store for about the same price as the premium quality OE type ones that usually have to be special ordered.

While you are in there make sure your vacuum and mechanical advances are working. If you are going to change anything or take anything apart take 'before' timing readings at various RPM and vacuum settings.  Take pictures or notes so you can get back to known running settings.  Way too many horror stories of people that had a running engine then put things back to specs and they no longer ran.

Same goes for even if you are just changing wires.   Look for where #1 is now on the cap, it may not be where the factory put it.   Also remember this engine #1 is front on the passenger side which is different than most other American engines of this era.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dannygila

J Kinley

I am timing my 500 in my 1973 Eldorado.  Old distributor with pertronics ignition. I blocked off the vacuum advance,  set the timing at 8 degrees tdc at 600 rpm.  I unblocked the vacuum and the timing mark went to about high noon.  The rpms went to 950.  The engine sounds good. Is this normal?  How do I know if the  mechanical and vacuum advance is working right?
Thanks John

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: J Kinley on June 12, 2022, 04:04:31 PMI am timing my 500 in my 1973 Eldorado.  Old distributor with pertronics ignition. I blocked off the vacuum advance,  set the timing at 8 degrees tdc at 600 rpm.  I unblocked the vacuum and the timing mark went to about high noon.  The rpms went to 950.  The engine sounds good. Is this normal?  How do I know if the  mechanical and vacuum advance is working right?
Thanks John
To check the mechanical advance, with the Vacuum still blocked off, and the timing light still attached, rev the engine to see what the distance the light moves towards the advance position on the balancer.

To check the Vacuum Advance, you will need an adjustable Timing Light and wind the adjuster to bring the timing mark back to zero, and then read how much you have wound it back on the timing light handle.

Another way is to pull the Distributor, and fit it to a Distributor Strobe machine and check it that way.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J Kinley

I found the instructions for my timing light and printed off a distributor curve from speedway motors.  I will see how well it's working tomorrow.
Thanks John