News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

fuel starvation

Started by robert p millian, July 12, 2006, 06:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert p millian

To all of you who offered suggestions as to what may be the problem. I got to thinking before going thru the trouble of removing the 2nd fuel tank and swaping it,tomorrow,I will fill up a 5 gallon gas can and place it inside the trunk as far back as I can next to the spare tire. I will run a 5/16 line out of the can along the bottom of the fuel tank all the way up to the fuel pump and give it another try under all driving conditions. If this solves the problem,then the problem had to be inside the fuel tank.

bob

Art Woody

Or, your existing fuel line would still be a remote possibility for problem. Ive seen fuel lines suck air, via a crack or a union, and not leak a drop, causing fuel starvation. Not to mention a blockage.

robert p millian

Art

Although I replaced the old fuel line from fuel tank to fuel pump there could be a possibility that air is being sucked into the line. Running another fuel line from the gas can inside the trunk to fuel pump should solve the mystery once and for all. Its raining outside today,so Ill have to wait to road test.

bob

robert p millian

Today I was able to give my cady a good run and under all road conditions and you know what.she ran like a top. Now, that I know that it runs okay drawing the fuel from the gas can inside the trunk that rules out the rebuilt carb and new fuel punp as maybe causing the starvation problem. Im thinking as I am typing what if I disconnect the fuel line from the gas can and connect it to the fuel tank. I know that this 2nd new line I installed is okay,but maybe something is wrong with the 1st one I had replaced. I suspect the problem has to be either the fuel line or fuel tank. I will know tomorrow for sure.

bob

Art Woody

Congratulations on your progress, you soon will know.

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

In one Serviceman bulletin, there was an article about the connection of the fuel line to the fuel tank: there is a soft part looking like an olive clamped between the fuel line and the tank to avoid leaks. It should be replaced each time the fuel line is disconnected; otherwise there could be a gap, allowing the fuel pump to suck air. On my cars, I just reworked that part on a lathe as this part is no more available.
Roger

robert p millian

Roger and to all who offered suggestions as to what may be the problem.

You know,you would think a problem like this would be easy to solve,but sometimes can take hours and days. Today,I connected the 2nd new fuel line to the fuel tank and gave my cady another road test. The car ran like a cady should with no more fuel starvation. Finally its all fixed.Now,here is something that I noticed that was different.The glass fuel filter bowl next to fuel pump was always 1/4 to 1/2 full when car would idle. When I ran the fuel from the gas can inside trunk the bowl was filled to top. Also when I reconnected the 2nd new fuel line from the gas can to fuel tank the bowl was also filled to top. So,I believe somewhere in that 1st new fuel line there had to be a small hole somewhere that was sucking in air. I checked that line and could not find any holes,maybe its in the seam of the 5/16 line.I guess Ill never know. But,let me tell you,this was wild,a one of a kind problem. Moral of story,just because a part was replaced new doesnt mean the part cant be defectived.

bob

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Robert,

Congratulations on finding the area which was causing the problem.

All you have to do is now run another length of pipe to replace the previously run pipe.

You will be able to tell this saga around the camp-fire for years to come.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

robert p millian

Hi Bruce

During my misfortune past couple weeks nd turning to the CLC board for help,I was also told by some of my friends to check the vent,or remove gas cap or put in a electric fuel pump check for vapor lock,the list goes on and on. After a while you cant see straight and get nothing but a big headace. This problem had to be that one in a million. I have at one time thru the years owned over 50, 59 and 60 cadys and have taken them apart and restored them for sale,but not one of them had a problem like I had in my 60 Coupe Deville

I wish to thank all of you who tried to help me out with this nightmare that finally got resolved.

Best wishes to all

bob