News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

48 cadillac rear seal QUESTION?

Started by don hughes, July 17, 2006, 09:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don hughes

can we replace main rear seal without removing the engine by using a special tool to pull it thru? has anyone done this successfully? Need information asap... to: donwy@aol.com

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Don,

I know it can be done, but every one I do, I do it the proper way and remove the engine and remove the crankshaft whilst it is upside down on the engine stand, leaving the pistons and rods still in their bores.

This way, I can guarantee that the top seal half is properly in place.

I consider the other methods a cheap and nasty way of shortcutting an important task, which is usually attempted to stop a leak when selling.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

John Washburn

Don,

I agree, although it pains me, with Bruce. But the option is to buy the tool, it was called, I think, a sneeky pete. Looked like one of those Chinese games, but did work. I have one somewhere. They are still made and I think NAPA still carries these (if you really want to pursue this I can find the tool, and see if there is a part number). Or I can send you a picture.

But again, check the web, it seems someone makes the new neoprene seals for these old cars to stop the leaking. But you have to pull the engine. Check with Bruce, I dont think he is that busy. Oh, it will cost you a few bucks for airfair and beer.

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Don and John,

I can just pop over at any time and John and I can simply supervise you, and step in to assist in lowering the crank back into the block, as long as I dont get my hands too dirty.   Hate to drop a nice cold one.

But, as John mentioned, the ticket(s) over would be the costly part of the exercise.   Plus, the freight on my tools would break the bank.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Harry Scott

The modern replacement is a mid 80s Mercedes diesel seal. It can still be installed with a sneaky pete. My understanding of the use of that tool is that you have to loosen the crank so it will drop down enough to slide the upper seal through the groove. This would also mean taking the transmission loose. I agree with Bruce about it being easier to pull the engine and not take the chance of trying to do the job standing on your head under the car and trying to get the rear main cap back on right so as not to leak.