News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Old gas

Started by jwwseville60, September 04, 2023, 10:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwwseville60

Im sure most everyone knows this...but please stay away from little gas stations
in rural areas that dont sell a lot of inventory.
Ive tested the gas with a test tube and there's always water in it.
Always buy from a good station with lots of pumps and traffic. The tankers refill every week or more.
And dont spare the Marvels!
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

TJ Hopland

Yep.  Ethanol that a vast majority of our gas in the USA has at least 10% of is way more hygroscopic (sucks moisture out of the air) than the base gas.  If its exposed to humid air for very long it will suck up all it can and then it all separates.   Try spilling some E85 on a humid day, it pretty much instantly turns to snot.

Are the gas storage tanks still just vented?   I would think that would be against the rules in CA for many years.  So do they still have the issue?  I have seen that more recently even things like lawnmowers don't have vented gas tanks so I would think if they are cracking down on that nationally they would have already got the gas stations not just openly venting which you would think would reduce the amount of humidity that gets in. 

I also wonder how much difference underground vs above ground tanks make?   Underground you would think would me much more stable temp wise so less expansion and contraction possibly pulling in humid air and less condensation.   Above ground maybe has more of those issue?       
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason