News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Classic Radio Restoration Thoughts

Started by Clewisiii, October 08, 2023, 12:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

Ok. I will need to decide what to do with my radio.

Many of the radio restoration guys I have found say they have stopped doing original restorations and have now switched to radio conversions. They said due to the extra labor required it is no longer worth it to them.

I am not opposed to that. I would want some type of FM. Maybe Bluetooth.

What are your thoughts.

My current radio actually played. But looks very rough. I do have another in my parts car.

IMG_20231008_093032579.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

J. Russo

Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Patrick Fant

Sorry, but what year car did all this come out of?  The pile of parts does look pretty rough, but savable as long as you can get the valves (tubes.)  I thought about the modern conversion too, but then my wife convinced me to not gut that beautiful and still working radio.  I am glad I left it in tact.  I have a Bose Bluetooth speaker hidden that pairs with my phone on Spotify where I have my Cadillac playlist saved.  Then when I want the news I run up the electric antenna like they did in 1956 and let the Wonderbar find the stations I have on preset.  It's Beach Boys time all over again, until I hear the news then it is back to reality which is not nearly so fun.  That's my take.  pat
Patrick Fant
Houston
CLC #31723

Clewisiii

Quote from: J. Russo on October 08, 2023, 03:00:10 PMThis place converted my 1941 radio.

https://www.joesclassiccarradio.com/

Yes I looked at joes. Between restoration and conversation they are another source who have stopped restoration.
Screenshot_20231008-150501.jpg

Patrick this is a 61 am only.

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

V63

Here is a "reproduction audio"  with faux AM dial but conceals a fully amplified stereo, HD radio, BT, hands free telephone. External Amplifier Expandable.

I adapted the original knobs (not easy) , including audio labels (original back lights)   behind knobs

The sound is absolutely wonderful even to an audiophile!

$400 if memory serves.

David Greenburg

I've left my '61 radio alone so far, even though it's only useful for the occasional baseball game or news.  But had my '60 converted by Gary Tayman, and I'm very happy with it. It looks completely stock and the wonderbar works. But it has FM stereo and Bluetooth, and he'll tweak it depending on your power/speaker needs. I'm only running 2 speakers, in the original locations, because this car is never going to be a listening room, and I didn't want to cut anything to add speakers.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Clewisiii

Quote from: David Greenburg on October 08, 2023, 05:36:23 PMI've left my '61 radio alone so far, even though it's only useful for the occasional baseball game or news.  But had my '60 converted by Gary Tayman, and I'm very happy with it. It looks completely stock and the wonderbar works. But it has FM stereo and Bluetooth, and he'll tweak it depending on your power/speaker needs. I'm only running 2 speakers, in the original locations, because this car is never going to be a listening room, and I didn't want to cut anything to add speakers.
David, does he have a shop or does he work independently.

Michael Petti

Phillips Electronics redid my radio. AM only. Works great. I listen to talk radio and in Fall I get football.  Love my rebuilt AM radio.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Keep your radio original and use a Redirad to link up your phone for your choice of music. You can't beat the sound of a valve (tube) radio.

35-709

Gary Tayman (Sarasota, Florida) did the radio in my '50 Packard.  Everything looks original on the outside but all new components on the inside.  He has all kinds of options like bluetooth, etc., if you want them.

https://www.taymanelectrical.com/ 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cadillac Jack 82

Try Precision Stereo Repair in Utica, NY.  They rebuilt my 1967 Wildcat radio and upgraded the capacitors.  The sound quality was fantastic!  The pricing is fair too and the turn-around time is usually 6-7 weeks.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Cadillac Jack 82

Also on a side note do NOT convert it to Bluetooth.  Sure its nice to have a modern amenity in the radio but they tend to fail quickly according to several sources I've spoken with.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

bcroe

An old radio can be made to perform like new, when
refreshed along with the speakers.  I fear though
the background noise on the AM is much more severe
today, than decades ago.  And any radio noise
supressors in the car must be functional.  Want
more than new, get the upgrade/conversion and the
extra speakers.  Bruce Roe

Cadillac Jack 82

Bruce you'd be surprised at the radio quality of AM.  I'm able to pick up a 60s/70s station in Tucson from the east valley.  The sound quality is incredible.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

eldofever58

The biggest problem with these conversions is that they use a cheap Chinese tuner and amp board, and the replacement dial scale sticks out like a sore thumb. My personal preference is to restore the factory radio (pretty much all parts are still available), but add an aux-in cable which you can tuck into the glovebox when not in use. That way you can still pull in the AM oldies channel on Saturday night, the Wonderbar and push buttons are still functional, and you can listen to your phone/MP3 source with real tube amp sound when you want to.

jwwseville60

Keep your radio original.
Its mostly commercials anyway.
An iPod and portable speaker is not a bad solution.
I listen to Johnny Cash, Sinatra and classical in the Caddy.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

David King (kz78hy)

I used Charles Sigfried to rebuild my Brougham radio and he knows the wonder bar system well.  Still works good after 13 years.

http://www.nadjaart.com/web_design/webwork/charles/index.htm
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter