News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

power steering fluid

Started by Bpeterson, October 19, 2023, 12:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bpeterson

Hi All, I have a 1972 El Dorado Cadillac. The power steering fluid has a hot mark and a cold mark to check fluid level.  If I fill to cold mark when cold and then the  engine heats up it only goes to 1/2 on hot mark.  Which one should I rely on?

Also, I believe it takes transmission fluid for the power steering fluid...is that correct?

Also, anybody know where to get a replacement for the little cap on the cruise control lever?

Thanks!!

Moody

Halfway up is fine on the dipstick. Yes, trans fluid will work.
Moody

Seville Life

Really you want the fluid hot and on the 'hot' mark while using the car.

Yes you do top-up with Dexron transmission fluid.

HOWEVER - if the system has lost a lot of fluid or had parts changed you use power steering fluid, different from Dexron automatic transmission fluid. AC Delco make it, easy to buy in the States.
Paul Bedford

TJ Hopland

How hot is hot?  And what, where, and how are you measuring this hot?  If you were to have it at the hot line when the fluid was maybe just warm what happens when it really gets hot?

Seems like cold on the cold line would be a safer way to do things. Cold just means ambient so even if that is 0-100F or -17-37c that doesn't represent much expansion in the fluid compared to how much expansion you could get at what 250f/121c?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Seville Life

That is a good point. My '78 Seville owner's manual talks about touching the transmission dip-stick to judge how hot it is? Your fingers might be tougher than mine? Always seemed like an odd way to test.
Paul Bedford