News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Cadillac Windshield Washer Correct Decal / Label / Sticker

Started by conyankee2, December 10, 2023, 04:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conyankee2

Hi All,

I've gone through all of the 'windshield washer' threads I could find here looking for this, and believe I have the correct answer, but wanted to confirm. Per the Authenticity manual (2nd Edition), the correct windshield washer decal should be the one that has 2 lines (clear water level line AND in winter solution level line - picture #1 attached). I believe this to be correct for 1946-1947 vehicles. However, the sites that sell the decals show a different version appropriate for 1947 (only has the winter solution fill level line - picture #2 attached). I'm assuming they are just wrong, but wanted to confirm.

And if the 2-level line version is correct for 1947, is the navy / white color scheme correct? I've also seen grey / white on which was supposedly a 1947 setup as well (clearly the hardware parts have been painted black which wasn't authentic / original in 47 - so maybe the decal is incorrect as well). And to confuse me just a bit more, I've seen a blue / orange (transparent water transfer) color scheme as well, but believe that may be for 1948+?

And for those who have a correct 1947 setup, would THIS reproduction glass bottle (which the listing says is done by this club?) on eBay, be correct?

Thank you all for the help, as always!

1947 Cadillac 61 Series Sedan Hydamatic
1978 Cadillac Seville Sedan

Bill Ingler #7799

I believe the water bottle on ebay is not correct. The correct bottle for 47 is what I call a square bottle. The bottle you show has round corners on bottle top as well as the bottle  bottom. Look at page III-15 in the Authenticity Manual and it will show a correct square top and bottom bottle. As far as the correct decal, go with what the Authenticity Manual shows.  Bill

conyankee2

Thanks very much for the response, Bill. I know it's always a bit hard to tell from photos, but in the eBay listing that I linked out above (not to be confused w/ the glass bottle photo w/ blue / orange label I inserted), in the description, it says:

A Cadillac LaSalle Club Reproduction windshield washer bottle fitting 1940s Cadillac.

overall height is 7-1/8"

rim diameter is 3-5/8"

width is 4-1/2" across the squared sides

So I'm assuming it's square, but I reached out to the seller to confirm.

As for the colors, I agree I'd go w/ what is in the Authenticity Manual. The weird part is, I can really only find blue and black color background reproduction decals out there. I can't tell from the authenticity manual if perhaps the photo color printing is just off a bit, or if it's really supposed to be grey (since I have seen a grey sticker like in the photo I added in the previous post). The rest of the colors printed on the page seem accurate. Here is a photo of the page in the manual.

1947 Cadillac 61 Series Sedan Hydamatic
1978 Cadillac Seville Sedan