News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Questions about 47 taillight wiring.

Started by bobrich47, December 31, 2023, 06:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrich47

I am rewiring my 47 & I have a new harness from RI Wiring (they are closed so I can't ask them directly until Tuesday).    The taillight section has what they call in their diagram an "Anchor Wire", heat shrunk onto the Y wire. Neither end is connected, so I'm not sure of its purpose.  My original wiring has 2 wires into the top socket (YxGn & YxBk,the turn signal & taillight?) & 1 to the bottom (Y,brake?). It's  hard to tell, they're pretty grungy.  Both original bulbs are dual filament 1154's. That makes sense for the tail & turn signal, but is this bulb correct for the brakes?  Do I understand with this diagram, that I should solder this "Anchor wire " into the bottom socket, even though it seems to have no real purpose?
Will someone give me some advice on rebuilding these sockets & some tips about soldering the new contacts into them?  I haven't done this before.20231230_174431.jpg
Bob Richards

Jeff Hansen

Bob,

The two 1154 bulbs are correct - even though only one filament in the one bulb is used.  It's up to you whether you solder in the unused wire or not. Since it is unused, consider wiring that unused filament for supplemental use as an additional signal or brake light option to give you a wee bit more light for the function of choice.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

toybox

I'm with Bob here. I used the extra filament for brake lights , it made a huge difference when viewed from a following vehicle. Like having a third brake light but not so ugly. Tim