News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1946 series 60 fleetwood caddy restoration

Started by A Franco, January 09, 2024, 04:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Franco

Hello everybody names Adam, new here and im looking for help on my '46 series 60 fleetwood caddy, with the flathead 346. I got this project from my uncle and I am the 4th owner and my uncle gave me his car which his uncle gave to him, to restore it since he has no time to do so. I am in finished converting it from 6v to 12v, everything is changed except license plate bulbs. 12v reg, 12v generator (alternator $500 so i converted the gen), 12v coil, changed all the bulbs except license plate bulbs, gauge reducer added, new wires replacing some bare wires, new oil, rebuilt carb, new radiator, hoses, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel tank, replaced brakes, motor does turn easily. I put my truck battery in it, less than a year old and I try positive ground since thats what it was originally then negative ground because when I turned the key and the clicked the start button (a push button starter) nothing worked. Here are some pictures and video of what I am working with. My ignition is set up all correctly i think, BAT of ignition is connected to starter, IGN connected to POS of ignition coil, STA is connected to starter button, I turn key 2 times and push the starter button but nothing at all. I put screwdriver to starter to try to crank it but the starter spins but doesn't engage, I don't know what the problem is, all the help is appreciated and am happy to provide more pictures, videos, info etc to help

Video on ignition

James Landi

Hi Adam,

Do you still have the original starter on the engine. If, as you say, the car was built with a positive ground system, then the original starter will not work, and its soleniod will not work.  I suggest that you seriously consider putting the entire ignition system, charging system,i.e. all electrical systems back to positive ground and use the 6 volt system, in spite of its challenges.  Simply stated, electric motors, induction coils, radio, hydraulic motor for power windows will spin in reverse. The original generator and voltage regulator is wired for positive ground. Maintaining the original polarity (+ and -) as the car was originally designed,I'm suggesting, is a very good idea.  I'm also suggesting that you go back to the 6 volt system as you're really challenged with regard to every electrical component, such as the gauges, that were installed for 6 volt positive ground.  For example, your fuel gauge will melt its internal coil if you apply 12 volts to it, and with a negative ground, instead of positive, it will pin itself to one corner of the dial and it won't move.  Hope this helps, and perhaps other members will provide specific advice regarding what you're attempting to do.  James   

harvey b

Going back to the 6V is a good idea,but i see your point,i wish my car was 12v sometimes.I think most of your problem lies in your voltage regulator as these cars are wired so you cant hit the starter button when they are running,check the wiring there first,you can hook the battery up backwards and they will still turn over,i had done it when i first got my car.Did your car turn over before you changed your wiring,possibly a starter problem if it was like that before you did the work?Look at any changes and see if it has changed the basic wiring for the car,make sure it doesnt short out and burn too,the old wiring is brittle and does not like to be handled?. good luck  harvey
Harvey Bowness

A Franco

@James Landi It is the original starter at least from the information that was given to me, would i be able to buy a different starter a new 12v? and that would solve the problem? if not would you suggest me to stay with pos ground 6fv? i wont be able to change it to 6v my uncle which gave it to me told me to convert to 12v and the mechanic I brought over, but if its really that much of a problem when I get more progress in i may have to reconsider, i looked at old pictures when i got the car and the new picture I added on the post a picture of the starter, the solenoid has two posts to the left that were hooked up, but they were bare wires at the end connected to the battery possibly for temporary power, do you think that was the problem?thank you very much james

A Franco

@harvey b my voltage regulator is brand new 12v so i wouldn't see that as the problem, the car started before the wiring, i looked at old pictures when i got the car and the new picture I added on the post of the starter, the solenoid has two posts to the left that were hooked up, but they were bare wires at the end connected to the battery possibly for temporary power, do you think that was the problem? I will make sure nothing gets burnt due to the fragility of these cars, thank you harvey

harvey b

Do you have a wiring diagram for your car,there should be 2 wires that connect to the 2 small screws on your solenoid.look in your harness handy the starter,see if they were cut off,maybe they were covered over.A wiring diagram will really help,the shop manual should have one in it,Rockauto has them listed on their website.My cars are older so im not sure about the wiring on the new ones 8) . harveyb
Harvey Bowness

James Landi

Hi Adam,

I urge you to disregard my suggestions as Harvey Bowness has 1st hand experience with the challenge.  My experience is limited to automotive electric motors that run clockwise or counter clockwise based on whether the ground (casing of motor) is positive or negative. I'm hoping you get the issues sorted out... and perhaps you can, at the very least, isolate the soleniod and starter and carefully connect a 6 volt source to check that those two components are functioning, and you can get the engine to spin.  Keep us in the loop... James

Joe Jensen

The two terminals you don't have wires connected to are the internal starter relay.  You need a positive (from the start button in the car) and a ground for it to work.  My car is negative ground, so it is possible your setup is opposite.  If you have a hydra-matic you will also have a neutral safety switch that runs in series with your start button to prevent starting when not in neutral.

I would suggest getting a shop manual.  The shop manual will have a wiring schematic amoung other very helpful information for you.

Good luck!
Joe