News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Converting hydraulic door window regulators on 49 Cadillac Conv. with electric

Started by Po3824, February 21, 2024, 08:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Po3824

Has anyone converted their 1949 Cadillac series 62 door windows from hydraulic to electric?  If so, what type regulator did you use?

Patrick O'Kelly
pokelly45email addresses not permitted
248-797-1383

Abe Lugo

Perhaps check the 1950 or the first year electric window regulator.
Otherwise see if other GM vehicle might fit.
Maybe someone here can post a pic of a 1950 regulator. 
That if you want original style power windows with OEM equipment.

Otherwise you might be looking at a power window kit from aftermarket companies.  It think one of them was called Electric life.

It would help if the rollers and the tracks are all redone at the same time to have smooth gliding windows.

Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

Abe Lugo

Actually it would be 54 regulator but I checked and the changed a bit.

But I did find this company.
https://www.nu-relics.com/default.asp

It look like they might have a bolt in solution. 
More info
https://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php/topic,6496.0/sslRedirect.html

If you actually do the conversion.  Check to see if your existing switches can work.
I imagine for someone like NU Relics to build some for you.  You would need to find a set of non power regulators. Then they probably weld in the  adapted power motors. 

V63

As a frequent and gratuitous participant of the forum here, now labeled a "moocher" ...please consider the source:

Your first hurdle
is the 6 volt power supply. Your options greatly expand with 12 v.

In the aftermarket... there are universal power window kits, often marketed for pick up trucks. I would consider these as adaptable given enough determination, but not a direct bolt in.

You might be able to adapt the OEM window switches to the modern technology depending on their wiring details., certainly that's how I would prefer.

Abe Lugo

Hot about some pics! Thanks for reporting back.
How was the install?
Were you able to adapt your existing switches?
Very cool when an upgrade works out.  Especially the odd Hydraulic to electric window trick 8)