News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1980 Seville DIESEL (I KNOW!)

Started by Wm Link, February 19, 2011, 10:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wm Link

Looking for a  DIESEL air cleaner  lid with  nice decals, or decals only. This is an original diesel that still runs, how many of those could be left!

TJ Hopland

I sort of need a new one also.   Not because I care about the decals though.   For some dumb reason I put my hand over the inlet with the engine running.  Diesels suck a lot harder than gas engines especially at idle.  As I now know they suck hard enough to crush the air filter element and bend the housing.  Now days there would have to be a warning label on there for that. 

A footnote that may aid in your search, the early ones like ours had a single bolt in the air cleaner.  The later ones had 2 bolts.   I think the change was 81 or 82 and due to the change from a external EGR to a internal system.  The external one literally had a tube up from the exhaust manifold and into the back of the air crossover housing.   The later design had a internal exhaust crossover (like the gas engines). 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Wm Link

I thought this was the "last" running Diesel left! I guess the count is now at TWO!

TJ Hopland

Mine has been running great.  I am driving it daily.  Even been on a few road trips.   It would be great if diesel wasn't more than gas.

I may be getting another one soon, talked to the guy today, its supposedly nice but have not seen pics yet.  Too cheap to pass up.   

Wm link

Lars Kneller 8246

I may have a 2 bolt air cleaner if you need one. My 81 Fleetwood is still on the road, but was a CA car to start, so the set up on the intake is a little different than the 49 state cars.

TJ Hopland

What was different about the air cleaner in the CA diesels?   I only remember reading about some electronics they added 83-84 ish for CA diesels.