News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Unsolicited Grand National DVD

Started by Johnny F #662, March 02, 2008, 06:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny F #662

I just received in the mail the DVD of the recent Grand National, with a very friendly letter, explaining that the DVD was sent to be previewed, and if I wanted to keep it, to send $20, and if I had no interest, to simply put the DVD back in the envelope and send it back, using both the label and stamp provided.  The letter also stated, that this was sent to all that attended the Grand National.  I am curious as to how others felt about receiving this DVD.

Gary McKinney

While I generally don't like receiving unsolicited materials, I think this was a well thought out venture.  I have to admit that I was a little irritated at first when I saw that I had to either send $20 or return the DVD, however, after reading the letter thoroughly and contemplating the situation for a few minutes, I realized that someone had thought this through thoroughly, right down to the return label and postage.  Now, if this were a mailing from some unknown source, marketing a product for which I had little to no interest, I would be irate.  But this was from my club, which I support, so under these circumstances I think it's just fine.  And, I must say, after previewing the DVD, I was quite impressed.  It's well done, and I found it to be quite enjoyable.  So, my $20 will be in the mail soon.

Gary McKinney

Gary McKinney

1950 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1966 Cadillac Eldorado

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your kind response to the question posed by Mr. Johhny F..   I was one of the lead Peach State Region members on the Savannah Grand National committee from the start, and I always felt nothing but responsibility for the entirety of that event ..... an event we spent years planning for, and untold numbers of hours putting together and then running once things got underway early last August.  Frankly, I was a bit hesitant when the plan was hatched to distribute the DVDs of the event this past month, but as you mentioned, just about every consideration we could conceive of was put into making the process of returning the DVDs as easy and as harmless as possible. Since less than 15 percent or so of those who attended the event pre-purchased one from us at the time, we thought we'd see if there might be others who would like to have a copy of the memories the DVD provides.  The response to our mailing has been overwhelmingly positive ..... we have received several letters back, with checks, expressing appreciation for the way we handled the process.  However, much to our surprise and amazement, we have also received a letter or two, a couple of telephone calls, and at least one e-mail that totally surprised us in the anger and contempt we generated by this mailing.   Frankly, if we had a chance to do it over again, I don't think we would, even though the negative responses have been in the vast minority; but still, they have been so .......... I'm not sure how to express it, actually, but the negative reactions have really surprised me.  In the end, what really concerns me the most is that we may have (and have in some cases I've been told) tarnished the memory of our event in some people's minds with this mailing; it bothers me very much ........ very much.   But I can't begin to tell you to what degree it has done me a world of good to see the positive comments you posted, comments which let us know that some good has come out of this as well ....... I can only hope that the majority of those who received our mailing have felt as you do, and not the other way.  After all we did to put together the 2007 GN, in hopes of providing everybody with a wonderful experience in Savannah, the last thing I would ever have wanted to see happen would be for our subsequent actions, regarding this DVD of our highlights, to cause anybody any grief or unhappiness. 

Thank you again, so much, for your kind comments and your support ....... what you said about us and our DVD mailing has gone a long way toward making us feel a bit better.  I just now hope this whole matter can be put behind us.  The last of the mailing was almost two weeks ago, so there will be no more of these hitting anyone's mailboxes from this point forward, and I hope those who were unhappy with us will be able to forget this part of the Grand National experience and just think back to the good times we all had together in Savannah.

Jack McClow
Co-Chairman of the 2007 Grand National

Johnny F #662

I am basically on the fence with this.  Let me first say that I wasn't in the least bit angered, unhappy, or had any grief in receiving the DVD.  It might basically be just me, but for the most part, I don't like to be solicited.  I feel as if I want or need something I am able to make the decision to buy, without any solicitation me with a  "try it you will like it" campaign.  On the positive side, I will also repeat that the letter that came with it, was very friendly and courtesy, with no type of "pressure to buy" or "guilt if you don't" attached.  I guess this kind of caught me off guard, as being a member of the club for over 25 years, I never encountered this situation with the club before.  Overall, I have no real objection to this way of marketing the DVD, and was just curious as to what others thought.

Big Fins

I have just received the DVD, in Saturdays mail. To be honest, I haven't previewed it as of yet. And I too, am not fond of solicitations. But to this, I make an exception.

I found the CLC, quite by accident doing a search for parts for the Cadillac I had purchased. I read the board, learned a bit, joined the club, and then attended my first Grand National. I am all registered and set up for my second in Cherry Hill, this year. I made a few friends last year and hope to make some more.

I will view the DVD, and whether I like it or not, I'll drop the $20. It goes to a good cause. The Club I am a part of.

When you consider the thought, planning, the hours spent in meetings with hotel management, restaurants, local tour agencies, and all the rest of the work that goes into putting on an event of this magnitude, then I think $20 for a disc of the memories is a small price when you come down to it.

I hope to see everyone in Cherry Hill.

Fins

Dan Reed

Yeah, I have to say I'm surprised that anyone from the club would be offended. Matter of fact, I'm certainly keeping an eye out in my own mailbox in the hopes I receive a DVD. By the time I made the trip home from Savannah and got back to the day to day chores, work, family matters, etc, etc, ordering a G.N. DVD gets relegated to the back of the mind - then forgotten. Sounds like the effort on the part of the Grand National coordinators to send out these DVDs was well thought out and I would certainly be happy to receive a reminder such as this - especially a reminder for something I would have purchased anyway if I weren't so damn forgetful :) 

Now...........If I can just remember to be in Cherry Hill on August 16th I'll be alright.

Dan

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Jack McClow CLC #15840 on March 02, 2008, 01:41:16 PM
Hi Gary,

Thank you for your kind response to the question posed by Mr. Johhny F..   I was one of the lead Peach State Region members on the Savannah Grand National committee from the start, and I always felt nothing but responsibility for the entirety of that event ..... an event we spent years planning for, and untold numbers of hours putting together and then running once things got underway early last August.  Frankly, I was a bit hesitant when the plan was hatched to distribute the DVDs of the event this past month, but as you mentioned, just about every consideration we could conceive of was put into making the process of returning the DVDs as easy and as harmless as possible. Since less than 15 percent or so of those who attended the event pre-purchased one from us at the time, we thought we'd see if there might be others who would like to have a copy of the memories the DVD provides.  The response to our mailing has been overwhelmingly positive ..... we have received several letters back, with checks, expressing appreciation for the way we handled the process.  However, much to our surprise and amazement, we have also received a letter or two, a couple of telephone calls, and at least one e-mail that totally surprised us in the anger and contempt we generated by this mailing.   Frankly, if we had a chance to do it over again, I don't think we would, even though the negative responses have been in the vast minority; but still, they have been so .......... I'm not sure how to express it, actually, but the negative reactions have really surprised me.  In the end, what really concerns me the most is that we may have (and have in some cases I've been told) tarnished the memory of our event in some people's minds with this mailing; it bothers me very much ........ very much.   But I can't begin to tell you to what degree it has done me a world of good to see the positive comments you posted, comments which let us know that some good has come out of this as well ....... I can only hope that the majority of those who received our mailing have felt as you do, and not the other way.  After all we did to put together the 2007 GN, in hopes of providing everybody with a wonderful experience in Savannah, the last thing I would ever have wanted to see happen would be for our subsequent actions, regarding this DVD of our highlights, to cause anybody any grief or unhappiness. 

Thank you again, so much, for your kind comments and your support ....... what you said about us and our DVD mailing has gone a long way toward making us feel a bit better.  I just now hope this whole matter can be put behind us.  The last of the mailing was almost two weeks ago, so there will be no more of these hitting anyone's mailboxes from this point forward, and I hope those who were unhappy with us will be able to forget this part of the Grand National experience and just think back to the good times we all had together in Savannah.

Jack McClow
Co-Chairman of the 2007 Grand National

Jack:

I was a bit surprised to receive the CD in the mail unsolicited, but having said that, in my
opinion it was done in a completely tasteful manner.  Please do not be offended by some of the
comments you've received -- you guys did a great job -- this doesn't detract from that one bit.

I would have ordered one anyway (if I remembered to do so) therefore you saved me the
bother.  I'm always busy with judging, so I seldom have time to see all the cars.  A CD like
this is nice to have.

So, feel good about all that you accomplished in Savannah -- including the CD.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Joe Abernathy

Well I'm not afraid to express my feelings about this issue as I also let them know how I felt about it in the in the return envelope.  I am very much against this type of solicitation.  If you want to sell your DVD why not send out a letter to all regestered members asking if they are interested?  That way you save the club a lot of money in shipping and return postage.  I will NEVER buy something that I didn't ask for but someone feels the need to send me anyway.  I think this kind of marketing is rude and slutty.  It really cheapens the image of the Chapter.

I would normally toss something like that in the trash.  Then you are out the cost of the DVD, the postage to send it and the postage for the return.  Very economical!  The ONLY reason I returned it was to let the chapter know how dissapointed I was.  But I guess I'm the only rebel.

Rude, costly and inefective.  If I had been asked first, I might have considered ordering it.  But NOT this way!

BJ

Wayne Womble 12210

Normally I would  not like unsoicited mailings either, but in this case I dont mind.  I know that there are a lot of people out there just like me that procrastinate , and have just not gotten around to ordering it. So, I am disappointed that I havent recieved one yet. Maybe tomorrow. 

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Wayne Womble 12210 on March 03, 2008, 10:13:49 PM
Normally I would  not like unsolicited mailings either, but in this case I don't mind.  I know that there are a lot of people out there just like me that procrastinate , and have just not gotten around to ordering it. So, I am disappointed that I have received one yet. Maybe tomorrow. 

Could it not also happen that people that have a habit of procrastinating, upon receiving this DVD, might also procrastinate in sending back the $20.00?

Glen

Quote from: Johnny F #662 on March 03, 2008, 10:46:31 PM
Quote from: Wayne Womble 12210 on March 03, 2008, 10:13:49 PM
Normally I would  not like unsolicited mailings either, but in this case I don't mind.  I know that there are a lot of people out there just like me that procrastinate , and have just not gotten around to ordering it. So, I am disappointed that I have received one yet. Maybe tomorrow. 

Could it not also happen that people that have a habit of procrastinating, upon receiving this DVD, might also procrastinate in sending back the $20.00?

That’s where I’m at right now.  I put this in the same category as telemarketing and door to door salesmen. I’m not angry but more annoyed.  I have not made up my mind as to what I’m gong to do with the DVD.  While state law says I can keep anything sent to me unsolicited without paying for it, I’ll probably just return it.  But it’s not a high priority. 

I recommend this tactic not be used in the future.

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Johnny F #662

QuoteThat’s where I’m at right now.  I put this in the same category as telemarketing and door to door salesmen. I’m not angry but more annoyed.  I have not made up my mind as to what I’m gong to do with the DVD.  While state law says I can keep anything sent to me unsolicited without paying for it, I’ll probably just return it.  But it’s not a high priority. 
I recommend this tactic not be used in the future.

Glen

This exactly sums up how I feel about the situation.

Fred Zwicker #23106

??? Wouldn't it be a better plan to offer the DVD as a sticky on this forum, by a direct mail promotion, or even an email promotion to members?  This can still be done; and if properly promoted, might attract others of us who were not at the GN last year.  A postcard mailing to all CLC members might also be effective. I see there was an ad in the March "Self-Starter", which is a good idea.  I was not at the GN in 2007 and did not receive the DVD, so have no complaint regarding this issue.  If I did attend, may have wanted to purchase the DVD (although I am not a DVD person), but would have preferred an opportunity to order it on my own, instead of receiving it unsolicited in the mail.  This might account why some members were a little touchy regarding this issue.  On the other hand, some appreciated the chance to make the purchase, as probably wouldn't have done so otherwise.

Part of the problem is that we are all being bombarded with offers, surveys, emails, catalogs, etc.  Most end up costing us money and all end up costing us time. I used to send back the dollar bill on surveys with a note that my time was worth more than one dollar to complete and mail a 15-minute (or longer) survey.  Now I give the dollar to my grandson and toss the survey.  A week ago, I took my Ford pickup for an oil and filter change and wheel rotation ($49). The next day I received a phone call from Ford to see how my experience went, along with what was going to be a series of questions.  I immediately informed the caller, "Sorry - I do not participate in surveys" and the caller accepted that without question - usually there is pressure when I decline such.  Three days later I received a survey by mail regarding the same service, which I tossed.  Too many offers, too much mail and too little time.  Combine all of these and you have the answer.

Fred 
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Kevin Wiles

I did not like getting it in the mail and opening it up and reading basically

send it back
or send 20 dollars back

I did not particularly enjoy the grand national meet for several reasons which include:

the weather
the lake that the vendors were standing in.
the dark cave that the judging was performed in and the same dark cave that many cars never exited during the entire show
the snooty way that many people acted and looked down their noses at cars that weren't perfect.
the fact that 90% of the members are over 90 years old
they way that many many many members walk around and act like they know everything I MEAN EVERYTHING EVERY DETAIL.
the way that many people acted like if a drop of rain water touched their car, it would instantly melt.
the way that one of my main objectives was to obtain a grille badge and i was told they only had 3 in stock but they wouldn't go on sale until 3:00 then when I went up to check on them at 2:30 they were all sold already.
the way that my car overheated on the way back.

Then to get a nice dvd in the mail unsolicited with instructions to send 20 or send it back.  I agree with Joe Abernathy.  Its slutty.  just something else to add to my list.

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Kevin Wiles on March 05, 2008, 12:00:31 PM
I did not like getting it in the mail and opening it up and reading basically

send it back
or send 20 dollars back

I did not particularly enjoy the grand national meet for several reasons which include:

the weather
the lake that the vendors were standing in.
the dark cave that the judging was performed in and the same dark cave that many cars never exited during the entire show
the snooty way that many people acted and looked down their noses at cars that weren't perfect.
the fact that 90% of the members are over 90 years old
they way that many many many members walk around and act like they know everything I MEAN EVERYTHING EVERY DETAIL.
the way that many people acted like if a drop of rain water touched their car, it would instantly melt.
the way that one of my main objectives was to obtain a grille badge and i was told they only had 3 in stock but they wouldn't go on sale until 3:00 then when I went up to check on them at 2:30 they were all sold already.
the way that my car overheated on the way back.

Then to get a nice DVD in the mail unsolicited with instructions to send 20 or send it back.  I agree with Joe Abernathy.  Its slutty.  just something else to add to my list.

Kevin,

I feel as though you are going a little overboard, with your criticism of the GN in Savannah.

-The weather.....Blame that on God or your Supreme Being of choice.

-The vendors lake.....blame the hotel builder for poor drainage.

-Dark Cave Judging.....Yes it was a disaster, and when it appeared that the weather was breaking, I see no reason they couldn't have switched the judging site, to the extra lot, which was the site of the photo taking.  With the importance of judging at the GN, every step should have been taken to ensure it was done as right as possible.

-Snooty People......in any group of people you will always have snooty people.  In my 25+ years in the club, this has been the exception rather then the rule.  I will go far as to say, that people that have the most perfect cars, are the ones most friendly and willing to talk about their cars.

-Members over 90 years old......what age do you suggest we take our elderly out and shoot them?  Are you sure you aren't Dorian Gray?

-Rain on cars.....Ok so some people are more anal about their cars then others, is this a bad thing?  How did it affect you?  I have a 23 year old car that has never been smoked in, am I also anal?

-Members that know everything......Most times they do quite a bit, and also willing to share their knowledge, these are the people that you want to hang around.  They are invaluable when they can help you with a problem you might be having with your car.  Even Jesus welcomed 3 wise men to his birth.

-No Grill Badges......Poor salesmanship on the part of whoever was selling the badges.

-Your overheating car......maybe if you got to know one of the know it all, they might have given you the details to avoid the overheating.

Love to all,

Johnny

35-709

DVD aside, you can consider all the postings after yours and up to this point to be my opinion of your drivel also.

The judging at the GN was conducted undercover because the best information was that the weather was going to be bad, they made the right decision based on what was forecasted at the time.  It would have been most unfair (in my opinion) once the weather started to clear (and who knew if it would last) to the cars already judged if the remaining cars were judged outside in better lighting conditions.  All cars were judged under the same conditions and handicap, again the right decision.  No, I am not a member of the Peach State Chapter.

Unfortunate about the grille badge, someone goofed --- doo, doo happens.

No doubt your overheated car added to your attitude problem concerning the GN.  New car owners have been known to suffer from the same overheating fate.

The value and credibility of your posting is considerably lessened by your gross exaggerations and 1/2 truths.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Tom Hall 7485

If you would like to discuss how pleased or displeased you were with the Savannah GN generally, let's start a
new thread about that, please.  This one started on the topic of unsolicited merchandise about the Grand National.

Some states allow the consumer to keep unsolicited merchandise without paying for it.  This would include our
GN disk.  I assume people have calculated the expense of such a mailing in advance and weighed it against the
likely income to be received before mailing DVDs of the GN.  There was a mailing of unsolicited DVDs following
the GN in southern California in 2006, also. 

(We should generally put the club's best foot forward on these message boards. Your complaints are public
here
.  A little complaining here about club activities and policies is fine and productive if you can also suggest
some practical improvements for the future. The two that I see so far are (1) don't do it again; and
(2) sell via these message boards. Any others?)
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Very likely, the stock on the grill badges was low due to a new order being needed due to a design change. These have to be ordered in quanity to be cost effective, and I know for a fact that the "powers that be" are presently looking into where they might get them done cheaper with the same quality, or better. Which is better? Having an overstock of the "old" design that might be hard to get rid of, or being patient or at least understanding of why there were so few available? Our staff knows that the GN is one of the best times to sell our Club jewelry. I'm sure there was no reason not to take all that were available in stock.
I stood in the "lake" a few times, and managed not to drown.
As for judging under the hotel. Two entirely different judging systems would have had to be used if they had changed in mid-stream. It is not just a matter of looking at the sky and saying, "OK, the rain has stopped, let's go outside."
I'm going to be 72 this year. Am I in danger of being ambushed,  to up the median age of Club members?
Finally, nearly everyone knows that anyone involved in the old car hobby, regardless of age, becomes an instant "expert" when they are forty miles from home.  You can either take their expertise with a grain of salt, or have a good laugh as you walk away. 
I had a major hand in starting the GN experience back in 1980, so Kevin, you can blame me if you have to have someone to complain to. I for one, am quite sorry that you didn't enjoy yourself, and given your experience, getting the DVD would have indeed, been the "last straw." P,S. I sent mine back with thanks.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville