News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Towing a 65 Cadillac

Started by Matt B #26021, May 19, 2010, 05:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt B #26021

As many of you know this is a 4800 pound beast. I am towing with an auto carrier so the entire car will be off of the ground. I have a 99 Yukon with a 5.7. It has the guts to pull it im sure.

My question is what do you guys pull your cadillacs with? Have you had any problems? Anything that I should look out for?
Member #26021      1965 Cadillac Deville Convertible. Currently in the beginning stages of making her roadworthy. Any parts or info would be much appreciated.

Carfreak

I have a 99 Yukon with a 5.7. It has the guts to pull it im sure

1/2 or 3/4 ton? 

Flat land shouldn't be a problem.     Mountains?    :P
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Dan LeBlanc

Definitely do not use a U-Haul for this one.  In October 2008, I towed my 61 Sixty Special from Connecticut to New Brunswick, Canada.  Within 5 minutes on the I-95 as soon as I hit 55mph the trailer started whipping badly and we nearly ended rubber side up.  The trailer was only rated for 3000lbs.  Overloading was a BAD idea.  The 14 hour drive home ended up taking 26 hours (not much else I could do but keep it under 45mph and keep going). 

No doubts about your truck being able to pull it, just make sure the trailer can handle it.  Use a trailer that can handle the weight and stabilizer bars help greatly.  I used my 2004 FX-4 Supercrew rated to tow 8900lbs and the truck had loads of power to haul it.  The trailer was the problem.

PS:  If you are using a U-Haul trailer and you're not towing the vehicle stated in the rental agreement, the insurance does not cover you, either.  Read the fine print.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

You want a trailer brakes, also they are required in most states for that weight.  You want a trailer with a little headroom in its load capacity.  Remember the GVW is not the load capacity.  A 5000 GVW trailer could weigh 2000 lbs empty, that leaves you only 3000 pounds for the load.

The side to side shaking is usually a balance (tongue weight) issue.  The basic starting point for this sort of rig is around 10%.  That means if you have a 2000 pound trailer and a 5000 pound car on it and you put a scale under the hitch it should weigh around 700 pounds.  Thats usually a starting point but usually is in the ballpark.  You can now see how you can get in trouble if your tow rig only has say a 1500 pound load capacity.  You take that 700 pounds on the bumper, throw in a couple of adults, some kids and everything else you can jam in you are overloaded in a hurry. I have basically found that you cant tow a heavy car any distance with a 1/2 ton truck no matter what the book says, things are just cut too close with no headroom.   Having a long car on a typical trailer is a problem because you dont have much room to roll the car back and fourth to get the proper balance.   If you dont have enough weight on the hitch the trailer will tend to try and drive the truck.  If you have too much weight on the hitch and just too much load in the truck so its not sitting level you mess up all your steering geometry which tends to make things squirrely and hard to handle not to mention just about lift the front wheels of the ground.   Try to get an extra long trailer so you have a chance to move the car around to get it right.   As little as 6" can make a difference especially if you have a 1/2 ton.  A 3/4 gives you some wiggle room.   When I had my heavy 1 ton dually with the 11' dump box I could load the trailer just about any way I wanted.  You never want to have a car (with and engine) on a trailer backwards (unless its a multi car rig).  Even if your tow rig could handle the weight and be stable that way most trailers do not have any extra bracing behind the axles.  In the front they often have the hitch frame to give some extra support.  I found that out the hard way.  Picked up a dead car and decided to be lazy and just winch it on backwards because it was easier than trying to turn it around.  Had the dually so was not worried about the weight.  Turns out the back of the trailer flexed enough to bow in the inner fenders so they rubbed on the tires.  Saw the smoke in the mirror.  One caught fire.  One exploded.  The other two just went flat.   Trailer and tires were well within their load limits but not the way I loaded it.   

Get everything as oversized as possible.   Take some test runs in a safe place.  Try some quick stops to see how it responds and some moderate swerves at a moderate speed (again in a safe place where there is no traffic or things to hit).  If its not stable try shifting the car forward or back slightly.  You may also need to lessen the load in your truck.  Then just take it slow and easy.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Matt B #26021

You guys are great! Thanks for the excellent info.
Member #26021      1965 Cadillac Deville Convertible. Currently in the beginning stages of making her roadworthy. Any parts or info would be much appreciated.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have towed many and varied vehicles all over the place, and with all sorts of vehicles, and when using a Tandem Trailer, never have more than about 100 LBS weight on the Draw Bar.

The '66 I towed with a Ford F100, 2WD, and no troubles at all.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Matt B #26021

Thanks for the picture Bruce. If your F100 can tow it I should have no problems. A picture truly is worth 1000 words. Man, that caddy is SNUG on that trailer! I am happy to hear that there were no issues with the tow.

-Matt

Jim Stamper

But if it isn't too far, get someone with a rollback truck to haul  it for you. 100 miles should only be $200 or so. No fuss or worries. I don't know how far you have to go though.

Matt B #26021

It is just over 300 miles. Id GLADLY have someone do it but I think it would cost a lot. If I am wrong please let me know!

The Tassie Devil(le)

One thing about towing anything is to never try and keep up with the traffic.

Drive at a speed that YOU are comfortable with.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Brett Cottel

I used a dual axle trailer with my 03 GMC sierra 1500HD 6.0 motor and trailer brakes for my 8000lb 55 Meteor with no problems at all. Went over the 80 pass between Reno and California with not a hitch doing 65-70 the whole way. HTH
Brett
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Jim Stamper

In 1969 I went over that same pass in California towing a 41 Buick Roadmaster convertible sedan on a trailer with a 57 Ford station wagon as the tow vehicle on the way to Harrah's swap meet, and back to the Bay Area again.  35-45 MPH all the way , no problems, a bit faster on the flats.

Otto Skorzeny

That's the Donner Pass. Good thing you didn't have to eat anybody.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Brett Cottel

with 8000lbs behind me....lucky me & the truck didn't eat someone on the way down either!
CLC #27535

Matt B #26021

Well I made it home. I am the proud owner of a 1965 Cadillac DeVille. Now, where do I start!

Brett Cottel

I'd start with a fine hand made whiskey or 100% agave tequila myself.
CLC #27535

35-709

Make it a double.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

I fell out of a moving taxi cab in Mexico wasted on Tequila. If I just smell the cap I'd probably puke. My "friends" have pictures of me being dragged through the hotel lobby by the Federales.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Steve Passmore

Thanks for sharing that with us Forrest ;D ;D
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe