News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Another Body shop story

Started by 60eldo, September 20, 2019, 08:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

Thanks. I heard good things about space coast before. Glad they are well regarded.

Nash -one of those can fit in our glove boxes.  :P
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Rockfish39

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on September 22, 2019, 08:27:28 PM
Ken, What would make your shop blasphemous? ...

Hi Mike, I'm the person that made that statement. There are SOME people in the club that believe that ANY deviation from all original stock is like some form of blasphemy. Like in: The Cadillac motor car has to be completely in "as delivered condition" down to the factory original head markings on all fasteners, ect. Therefore, pack your bags and go to the modified chapter, and so on...

I've seen these same personalities many times with the 'Vette kooks and the 409 Chevy kooks.

The Kid Darrin shop build cars of all kinds. Not just stockers. Namely  hot rods, street rods and whatever lies in between. It's a business, like others of it's kind. He's in it to make a living not to make some sort of temple that  exclusively caters to the all original stock guys...          That's why I said what I did.
I personally have no problem with it, and never will because I think that the greater infraction is to stifle the ability, the creativity, the talent and the artistry of doing your own thing.
I'm not a musician, but a good quote from Bob Seger comes to mind when talking about this. "If youre ever going to make it in this business, you'll never do it playing other peoples songs"
Rock  8)

Jeff Wilk

Lou......that was sooooooo very well said! Thanks for putting it so simply. 

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

cadillac ken

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on September 22, 2019, 08:27:28 PM
Ken, What would make your shop blasphemous?

I red your writings whenever I can get a copy of Cruise News, usually when I go to Old Town, which is not as often as before. 

Perhaps you can recommend a good local chrome shop? I'm NE of Tampa, but can get all the way over to the gold coast if necessary.

Funny, I'm taking some chrome to Space Coast Plating today.  As others have said, I use them a lot with very good results.  The pieces I'm taking them today are hand made and I trust them to not farkle them up.  They are irreplaceable considering the hours I spent making them.

I'd recommend giving them a visit.

Regards, Ken

cadillac ken

Quote from: Rockfish39 on September 23, 2019, 07:41:45 AM
Hi Mike, I'm the person that made that statement. There are SOME people in the club that believe that ANY deviation from all original stock is like some form of blasphemy. Like in: The Cadillac motor car has to be completely in "as delivered condition" down to the factory original head markings on all fasteners, ect. Therefore, pack your bags and go to the modified chapter, and so on...

I've seen these same personalities many times with the 'Vette kooks and the 409 Chevy kooks.

The Kid Darrin shop build cars of all kinds. Not just stockers. Namely  hot rods, street rods and whatever lies in between. It's a business, like others of it's kind. He's in it to make a living not to make some sort of temple that  exclusively caters to the all original stock guys...          That's why I said what I did.
I personally have no problem with it, and never will because I think that the greater infraction is to stifle the ability, the creativity, the talent and the artistry of doing your own thing.
I'm not a musician, but a good quote from Bob Seger comes to mind when talking about this. "If youre ever going to make it in this business, you'll never do it playing other peoples songs"
Rock  8)

And to be sure we do AACA restorations too.  We have a 1960 T-Bird that is owned by a client that has photographed every bolt and cataloged where it is used, the length, and thread-- whether it is seen or not.  And still he admires the custom work immensely.
His words: "Restoration is easy.  You take it apart fix it, repaint it, or replace it but it all goes back together exactly as the factory did it.  But the custom work you do on these old 30's and 40's cars, the making of parts, the making them all fit and work together with A/C, new engines, power accessories, now that's way more difficult and very admirable."

Cape Cod Fleetwood

For comparison to the OP, - THIS is a car that needs a $15K paint job this winter.
The $7K roof restoration was done last winter.
Budget accordingly.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Dan LeBlanc

Not to rub salt in your wounds, Jon, but this is for sale on Facebook for $22,500.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1381636982152385/permalink/2353509701631770/
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

60eldo

Wheres the nuce,,I wish I could spell,,I dont bee leeve it
Jon. Kluczynski

Big Fins

Turn on your spell checker. It's a built in app on your browser. I think the forum software uses one also.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Dan LeBlanc

No need for a noose, just patience. The right car always comes along at the right price, you just have to sometimes wait.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Scot Minesinger

That pink with white 1960 Seville is too good to be true, even for a coupe.  Something is not right.  Or it already sold in about 15 minutes.  That could be bought and resold for a handsome profit if it was real.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

rwchatham CLC 21892

It has the wrong hubcaps the interior is wrong so it’s priced right at 22k . Buy it for 20 and it’s a good buy to put back right . Would have made a way better starting point than the eBay car for 12 . You have to remember even finished a 60 Seville is only going to bring 45 k or so , so this car is priced right at 20k put another 25k  in it and have a nice driving car . 60 Seville’s just don’t bring big money when you can get 60 Biarritz s all day long under 100 k.
R. Waligora

Big Fins

The worst part is, Ray...You have just a '60.  ;)
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

60eldo

Im with Scott I dont believe that price. You ever look at Trivot, a BS site look at their prices. Anyway mine is nicer. LOL
Jon. Kluczynski

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

High grade low mileage all original '60 ELS recently hammered at RM/Auburn for $45K (+ 10%) so all in at under $50K which wouldn't begin to touch the cost of a full blown resto therefore the wisdom of restoring one of these cars becomes a questionable proposition. And of course no restoration will ever be the same, nor have the same appreciation potential as a highly preserved original with solid credentials/provenance.

As has been pointed out, the cost of restoring a convertible is the same (or even less) as a hardtop (all things equal), the decision of whether to restore this year and model is something that should be pondered carefully. Maybe a '59 ELS the argument can be made but to justify a '60 involves some serious soul-searching. 

While the '60 that Dan posted would probably have been a better bet, there are no interior photos and interior work is the most tedious and where things really start getting expensive - particularly when OEM spec & quality is insisted upon. Speaking for myself, I generally shy away from anything where the interior is less than presentable as-is.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

60eldo

Hey guys Im still looking for a coupe shell no rust,,,,anyone got one? If I cant find one then I think Im gonna just patch this thing up and make it a #7-8 driver.   905-706-2747 Jon
Jon. Kluczynski

rwchatham CLC 21892

There are pictures of the interior on Facebook , wrong pattern and looks like it was done in vinyl so the car is priced right at 22 k . Not sure why everyone thinks this is a giveaway price by time you spend 15-20k on the interior 2 k for caps anther 5 k for miscellaneous you’ll have a nice driver that’s worth 40 k or so .  Beautiful cars but 60s have never brought big money and never will compared to what 59s bring , I don’t care how much someone likes them it’s just the fact of the matter . A 60 Cadillac has a following in the Cadillac community but in the general car collecting community it doesn’t carry much weight , there are not a lot of big collections that are lusting after a 60 Seville. I built what was probably one of the nicest 60 Eldos ever done and had to beg to sell it at 125k  . Take a nice 60 to auction and a couple of the caddy guys will be excited over it but the general population will just watch it go by . These cars will always be the little brother to the 59 money wise and collectibility wise .  That’s why from an investment standpoint building a 60 is suicide , ask me how I know ! Been there done that !
R. Waligora

Big Fins

Plus it will have a 'Collectability Level' of D-.   ;)
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

rwchatham CLC 21892

Quote from: Big Fins on October 06, 2019, 01:37:12 PM
Plus it will have a 'Collectability Level' of D-.   ;)

Unless you use chucks rating system and then it’s an unbelievable quadruple A plus rating because then it’s no longer a Seville it’s an amazing 6437  or whatever the heck style number the book calls it lmao
R. Waligora