News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Truck lock badge

Started by mistertudball, April 07, 2021, 09:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistertudball

No big thing, I suppose, but the Cadillac crest covering over the trunk keyhole on my 1973 Eldorado fell off and fortunately I have it, but don't know how it was attached in the first place.  Is it reparable?  I figure I'd need to buy a whole new lock and took off the 4-screw access panel inside the trunk but am not sure how to unbolt the mechanism.  Any guidance? 
David Bartosic CLC19619

Cadillac Fleetwood

If you have removed the access panel, you will see the back side of the lock assembly, the bezel attachment nuts, and the nuts retaining the wreath. The access panel was originally retained with riivets.  If there were screws, it's been off before.

First, look at your detached crest and determine whether or not the diecast post is broken.  If it is, you'll need a replacement crest.  If it is not broken, then it became detached because the retaining spring broke.

Remove the two 7/16" nuts (with captive washers) that retain the bezel to the sheet metal of the lid.  The bezel will come off with the rubber gasket.  When pulling it away from the body, be careful not to lose the spring.

Post a photo of the stud on the crest, and of the spring, so it can be determined which is faulty and in need of replacement.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

cadillacmike68

It's called an escutcheon.

They can be found. ElDorados might be different from the RWD models so be sure of what you are looking at before you buy.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Matti R

Here are photos of 71 Eldo trunk lock badge
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

mistertudball

Thanks for the replies, guys.  And sorry for the typo in the head.  I guess that's what comes from working in the trucking industry for 38 years.
David Bartosic CLC19619