News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

and then there was one...

Started by fishnjim, April 21, 2022, 09:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

Had an interesting conversation with the upholstery guy yesterday.  He's "my" age.   He's been doing period/custom interiors for 40 years, and recently went into semi-retirement during covid and he's lost his staff.   As we used to say it was "getting deep in there" when two old period motorheads start BSing catching up about life from HS & Vietnam forward.
I don't do upholstery and old dog don't do new tricks.   I didn't know but there was another "major" goods supplier in the SE, and that guy retired and sold out and SMS bought all his inventory. too.   So like it or not, it's close to SMS or nothing now for period stuff.  Bright side, at least we have one!   I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to get mine repaired with what's out there.   The materials out there are made ex former OEM suppliers/off shored and they more or less make/carry what's in use or new/sells.   I especially sympathize with the >'70s interiors that had lots of molded vinyl parts like door, seat panels etc.   You'll be forced to custom solutions eventually or finding good unused used which are no longer plentiful and often stored poorly.  He told me it took a year to find some material for a '70 Stang some years ago.   That car company was notorious for one run batch model colors.  He only found it because he had period catalogues with the info, "computers be damned".    So one can beat the "I want it all original" drum, but don't expect miracles.   Much the same story for the stock material for the "P" back 7-8 year now.   Shop wouldn't supply the materials, it was on me.   And I bought the last roll of that SMS had.   I gave up on the period "marble-ized" vinyl and substituted leather.  It still sitting waiting on me.   But that's the state of the art these days.
The west cost guys probably have it easier since there's still a large but shrinking following and parts hidden, preference for custom.   When this guy closes shop, then there's no one in this multi state area.   
Some enterprising young person may want to consider a career in the some of the skills necessary for resto, as it'll be in demand and not many options - name your price market.   Yes, even EVs will need interiors.   But most important you gotta love what U do, especially when dealing with the public.

39LaSalleDriver

Sound advice. While I was planning on eventually redoing the upholstery and carpet on my car, I hadn't planned on doing it this winter. Then I got to thinking about how many suppliers and craftsmen are going out of business almost daily and I decided I'd better get on it now or do without. Since the "correct" material for my 39 is unavailable, nor has it been reproduced insofar as I know, I decided to go with a Bedford Cord which I knew to be available from Bill Hirsch. I had also bought all the windlace and piping for the seats I would need about three years ago from Restoration Specialties. 

In January this year, I went to check on a local, highly recommended upholstery shop that I visited prior to the pandemic. They had told me at the time that they would no longer interior restorations, but would be able to make new seat covers for me and I would have to install them. Fair enough I thought. Turns out, they too have now gone belly up. Short story long, I ended up just doing the job myself. Disassembled the old seat covers (which were from an older restoration) to use for a pattern, and sat down with my home sewing machine and got to work. As it is, they turned out pretty good if I say so myself. No, they're not factory perfect, but I can live with the results. It's just as well. Likely I would have been unhappy paying someone a fortune to do the work for me and find out they didn't follow my instructions. Unfortunately, there were lots of modifications and remaking from scratch things to be done to make it all look as factory original as possible.

My next project of this nature is going to be the trunk lining, which if I understand correctly, I will have to go through SMS for as I think they bought up all of LeBaron Bonney's inventory. So far as I know that was the only supplier of the correct material. I have heard so many stories about SMS, that I have been a bit scared to deal with them, but it looks like I'll just have to roll the dice and hope for the best.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

harry s

...same problem here. We had a small from the home shop about five miles away with two guys and about 100 years experience between them. They did mostly street rods and customs but did an excellent job on my three Cadillacs including two convertible tops. Both guys went off into retirement leaving a void.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Clewisiii

I have been speaking with CH Schultz and sons in Flint Michigan. They have been in the Auto upholstery business for 105 years. They have scaled back. there is only 2 of them left working.  But they are still over a year out with orders.
I am still trying to learn and do as much as i can myself.  Maybe a home business some time in the future.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I've heard there is one in Frankfort, IN, and one I have used several times with great results on Schuyler Ave. in Lafayette, IN. (They did the headliner in the '79 Fleetwood.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

cadillac ken

This illustrates the undeniable truth that our hobby is in a state of atrophy.  As a Custom Car/ Restorations, shop owner for about 32 years I constantly am losing my upholstery guy. I tried someone new last year (but he's also in his 50's) and now he is moving out much further north of my shop and will be "scaling back" on the big jobs--- and he was very good.

I too try to inspire young folks who want to work for themselves to go this route.  Low overhead, basically little or in some areas, NO competition and of course a huge potential for profit if you are really careful and meticulous about your stitching.

Sadly for me, as a shop owner, this is the case with a lot of craftsman in my Biz.  Metal polishers, custom painters, louver work, and of course the drying up of a lot of sources for parts.  Heck even the FLAPS doesn't even carry GM power window switches (that were used in GM cars for decades), and so many other items that I have struck out when asking about them.  Last week they didn't even have a Heli-coil kit.  My seasoned contact told me they don't even carry them anymore.

I spend way too much of my days hunting parts and guys that still do work I cannot do.

Clewisiii

I would really like to learn auto upholstery.  I have been collecting and learning on nice equipment.  But it is hard to find someone to learn or apprentice with. 

I have a six figure job now that I am not giving up until I have some learned skill.  I would work for free on nights and weekends at the local shop. But they do not work nights and weekends.

Even though there is plenty of work to go around. The shops still act like a union guild and keep people out. Until they realize they want to retire and have no one they can sell or hand over their business to. 

I am on upholstery forums for new people and it difficult to find training unless you have a family connection.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Even suing people who try to go out on their own.

fishnjim

It's a tough one.  Same for everyone.   "Change is the only constant".   Improvise, adapt, and overcome...as the Marines say.
The only reason this guy has hung on semi-retired, was he was a year + out on committed jobs.   
I'm sticking the old seat back in today, as is, until further notice.   Take it one day at a time.   Some is better than none for many months, if at all.
I think there's lots of old car/resto interest, but once people get in to it, they find it's not that easy and not that cheap*.   Trends come and go.   The uncertainty of the whole internal combustion car thing doesn't help. 
It's this internet/iphone/app culture of today.   I got a catalog the other day from a company I got catalogs from for decades and there were no prices in it, just QR codes?   What's the sense in that?   If I wanted to look it up online, I wouldn't need a catalog.
* - All you got to do is read some of the posts about cost.   I'm part hobby and part investment minded with what I own.   Always an eye on how much I got in it v what it's worth. 

wrench

There's a guy right in my town, doesn't advertise, doesn't have to.

Word of mouth, been in the business 40 years.

He was doing well before the internet and is till doing well.

He is talking about retiring though.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

scotth3886

Quote from: 39LaSalleDriver on April 21, 2022, 01:04:12 PM
Sound advice. While I was planning on eventually redoing the upholstery and carpet on my car, I hadn't planned on doing it this winter. Then I got to thinking about how many suppliers and craftsmen are going out of business almost daily and I decided I'd better get on it now or do without. Since the "correct" material for my 39 is unavailable, nor has it been reproduced insofar as I know, I decided to go with a Bedford Cord which I knew to be available from Bill Hirsch. I had also bought all the windlace and piping for the seats I would need about three years ago from Restoration Specialties. 

In January this year, I went to check on a local, highly recommended upholstery shop that I visited prior to the pandemic. They had told me at the time that they would no longer interior restorations, but would be able to make new seat covers for me and I would have to install them. Fair enough I thought. Turns out, they too have now gone belly up. Short story long, I ended up just doing the job myself. Disassembled the old seat covers (which were from an older restoration) to use for a pattern, and sat down with my home sewing machine and got to work. As it is, they turned out pretty good if I say so myself. No, they're not factory perfect, but I can live with the results. It's just as well. Likely I would have been unhappy paying someone a fortune to do the work for me and find out they didn't follow my instructions. Unfortunately, there were lots of modifications and remaking from scratch things to be done to make it all look as factory original as possible.

My next project of this nature is going to be the trunk lining, which if I understand correctly, I will have to go through SMS for as I think they bought up all of LeBaron Bonney's inventory. So far as I know that was the only supplier of the correct material. I have heard so many stories about SMS, that I have been a bit scared to deal with them, but it looks like I'll just have to roll the dice and hope for the best.

You could try Hill Jenkins

https://www.jenkins-interiors.com/

He did my new trunk kit for my 66 Fleetwood last year and did a very nice job of it.  I haven't installed it yet until I'm sure I'm done with everything else back there. 

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: scotth3886 on April 26, 2022, 08:24:02 PM
You could try Hill Jenkins

https://www.jenkins-interiors.com/

He did my new trunk kit for my 66 Fleetwood last year and did a very nice job of it.  I haven't installed it yet until I'm sure I'm done with everything else back there. 

Thanks for the thought, and I've seen them recommended before, but that is a dead end. I called them up before the pandemic started (when I first started scouting for materials, etc.) and was basically told that they couldn't help me. Don't know (or recall) if that was they didn't have the materials, a kit of any sort, or what the circumstance was, but it was a definite no go. Who knows? It might just have been they wanted to do the install themselves or didn't want to fool with it.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

scotth3886

Quote from: 39LaSalleDriver on April 27, 2022, 10:18:33 AM

Thanks for the thought, and I've seen them recommended before, but that is a dead end. I called them up before the pandemic started (when I first started scouting for materials, etc.) and was basically told that they couldn't help me. Don't know (or recall) if that was they didn't have the materials, a kit of any sort, or what the circumstance was, but it was a definite no go. Who knows? It might just have been they wanted to do the install themselves or didn't want to fool with it.

I ordered from Hill in June or July 2020, just a few months after covid started and had the trunk kit within a month.  Plus, I know he does cars older than mine.

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: scotth3886 on April 27, 2022, 12:31:59 PM
I ordered from Hill in June or July 2020, just a few months after covid started and had the trunk kit within a month.  Plus, I know he does cars older than mine.

???  So what all came with the trunk kit you ordered for a 1939 LaSalle 5019? Curious minds want to know.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

scotth3886

Quote from: 39LaSalleDriver on April 27, 2022, 03:08:14 PM
???  So what all came with the trunk kit you ordered for a 1939 LaSalle 5019? Curious minds want to know.

Post 725

"He did my new trunk kit for my 66 Fleetwood last year and did a very nice job of it"

fishnjim

I was reading the latest "Starter" today.
It's hard to believe it's been 25 years since the '97s came out.   I guess it's official s an antique for plates now?   I bought a low mile '97 sedan in '99.   It was my work car and survived one move.   Great road car.   I drove it til it was burning too much oil and then gave it to charity.  Very difficult car to work on.   I think I still have the old scraped up hub cap centers.   I bought a new set and they were beau coup expensive even then, like >$200 for 4.
1. In the Ads section, Jeff Hirsch says they have all interior materials for Cadillacs, now.   When I talked to Bill about material for the P, back 7-8+ years ago, he mainly handled wool broad clothes for prewar.   He had arrangement with a UK factory that made special weaves to order.   So you early guys might try them, now.   At least find out what they have and report back.   Worth a call and to support the advertisers.
2. Ad also says they have "nitrocellulose lacquers" and can get matching paint made.   There was a company over that way that was the last to make it around the same time period, but what I understood from the news, the EPA shut them down.   He must have a new source or they or someone popped back up.  Lots of chemists in NJ.    I don't see any advantage except for maybe an authentic concours or museum type early pre-war resto.   The acrylic lacquer is much better for aging.