News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1963 Eldorado Wood Veneer

Started by justiny, May 18, 2022, 02:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justiny

Has anyone removed the wood veneer in either a 63 Eldorado or Fleetwood?  The veneer appears to be good condition, though the glue is old and the veneer is starting to lift.  My hope is that I can clean it up and re-glue the existing material.  Any tips or help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Justin

2manycars

Hey Justiin

Check this thread in the restoration section. Carl is doing veneers on his 61 Fleetwood. He might have tips for you...

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=158620.380
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

Clewisiii

There is a possibility.  But before you start ask yourself how far you are willing to go.  .

For 1961 the veneers are all symmetrical and coated on both sides. So the backs looked great and I thought I could just clean the glue and maybe one coat of clear and reuse them.

But just because most of the glue has failed. Does not mean all has failed.  Three came off completely clean, then one corner broke.  So I am in it completely. The original material for me was .03 inch thick. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

justiny

Quote from: Clewisiii on May 22, 2022, 07:00:38 AMThere is a possibility.  But before you start ask yourself how far you are willing to go.  .

For 1961 the veneers are all symmetrical and coated on both sides. So the backs looked great and I thought I could just clean the glue and maybe one coat of clear and reuse them.

But just because most of the glue has failed. Does not mean all has failed.  Three came off completely clean, then one corner broke.  So I am in it completely. The original material for me was .03 inch thick. 

Thank you!  I followed some of your posts on the veneer work you're doing.  Looks excellent. Most of my veneer is in nice shape, with the exception of a few spots where the lacquer has lifted.  I'm trying to determine if it's possible to "re-glue" the areas that have lifted rather than turning it into a major ordeal. Any thoughts?? Thanks again! 

justiny

Quote from: 2manycars on May 21, 2022, 09:58:01 PMHey Justiin

Check this thread in the restoration section. Carl is doing veneers on his 61 Fleetwood. He might have tips for you...

https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=158620.380

Thank you!!!

Clewisiii

It would be situational.  But I think it would be hard to reglue consistently without first removing it.  But depending on your shape and area it may be possible.  But the question is what kind of glue are you using.   I have a sheet stock PSA adhesive on mine.  Most upholstery people will use Weldwood high heat landau top adhesive.  But I don't know if that is right over chrome.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering