News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1979 425 engine, won't stay running.

Started by NickD, June 21, 2023, 02:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chopper1942

Sorry to hear that you are abandoning your project. You have come so far in performing the diagnosis of the problems.
Probably a good idea to walk away for a while. I think all the oil pressure issues are resolved with the lifter out of its bore. I would pull the heads and once off, soak stuck valves, by spraying PB Blaster through the exhaust ports onto the stems and let soak. Do this several times. Then set the heads on some 2x4's and smack the valve stems. They may come loose. If they now move, get a spring compressor and remove the valve springs and pull out the valves. If the stems are not scored and the seats and valve faces are not pitted or burned you could reassemble them and either use them later or have the valves and seats ground.  You can now inspect the cyl walls for rust or scores. If the cyl walls look good and you don't have a huge ring ridge, you probably have a good short block assy.

If you are not going to do anymore with it for the time being, oil the top and bottom of the valve guides with oil and smack the valves several times to get some oil in the guides if you didn't remove the valves, put oil in all the cylinders, reinstall the heads, valley cover, valve covers, and intake using the old gaskets and just snug down all of the bolts. This will make sure everything is lubricated and sticking and rust won't become and issue. 

Again, I'm proud of you taking on this big diagnostic process and resolving the issues!

V63

This fleetwood looks a very worthwhile effort. I agree that the lifter launched out of its bore is likely the oil pressure issue.

Putting a set of heads on is not a horrific job. I (personally) like to mark and remove the hood on such a project. I think your hood should be aluminum?

I do have a good used 1977 425 complete in phoenix $800 but I'm confident your car only requires a head job. Call some local head shops for pricing estimates.

What is your zip code? Another option, Maybe post the project for sale on this forum

NickD

chopper: Thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed the process to this point.

V63: zip 19406 King of Prussia, PA. I have a set of good used heads from another engine, thanks for the offer. I agree the body is too nice to trash. The cloth interior is just as nice, the dash pad is not even cracked. I figure for now I will let it sit. Mabey in spring of 2024 I will move forward and pull the heads.

Chopper1942

Sounds like a great plan to me. Let us know when you start on it. If you need any help or pointers, we are here to help!

NickD

Hi all, just an update to my project. I removed the rocker arms and have been spraying the valves with wd40 and tapping them with a dead blow hammer for the last month. I have finally been able to get all the valves to move. I did not have to remove the cylinder heads. With respect to the lifter that was out of its bore, I spent almost 2 hours using a magnet, screwdriver, flashlight and patience and was able to get it (the lifter) back into its bore. I did not have to remove the intake manifold; I was able to maneuver the lifter around due to the casting holes in the head. I replaced the six bent pushrods with used ones that I had from another engine. I fired the old dog up and to my surprise it started, the oil light went out and it sounded good. At this point I am dam happy. For now, I have no plans for this car, just glad it is running and driving (in my driveway). Again, I want to thank you guys for all the help in diagnosing this problem from the start.

V63

Too cool!!! Congratulations!!! Keep marvel in the fuel!!!

Chopper1942

Congradulations! I'm glad you had the patience and perserverance to see the job through. I would liked to have seen you face when the "old gal" fired off.

TJ Hopland

Great news, thanks for updating us.  What's next?   

Sounds like with your new skills you can have a side doing surgery where they work though a tiny hole.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason