News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1975 Eldorado Re-assembly
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 06:47:35 PM
Its been a while and the memory aint what it used to be but I think I just did a little RTV at the corners of the rubber gasket and the rest didn't get anything.  Around the intake ports has a little bead rolled into the metal?  That that basically gets crushed to form fit to any irregularities.
Nice work.  Are you having to drive the individual segments or feeding some sort of digital or analog signal to the display?  Looks like there are enough wires that the switches must be discrete.   With that music you need a version to fit a 67 Barris custom, at least that is the car I think about when I hear that music, way cooler than the later cars.

Have you had to figure out blower control modules yet?  I was thinking if I could figure out what the head is sending for a signal a pico adrduino could read it and operate relays through old school resistors.  Seems like there would be a small market for such a thing kinda like you are doing here from just a programmed board and instructions to maybe a full kit with relays and resistors.     

Technical / Authenticity / 1940 Lasalle electrical
Last post by Ben Medlock - Today at 05:59:56 PM
Getting this car on the road finally and finding an issue with the temp gauge. Its pegging out hot but I know its not because I have a modern temp gauge installed right next to the cars sending unit. I've noticed the gauge rises when the engine is reved then drops back at an idle. Also noticed when I turn on lights that the temp gauge drops. Checked the generator with amp meter and it shows around 8.7 at an idle then jumps to 12 when the engine is reved up. I'm thinking voltage regulator but looking for another opinion before buying another voltage regulator.

Thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Thanks
We've had discussions here over the years about the best way to conceal aftermarket gauges and how to address defunct electronics on the early 80's HT4100 cars after an engine swap. During the pandemic I went on a deep-dive into the systems on the '82-'85  DEFI cars and came up with some "fixes" for the Climate Control, external temp sensor and CC system. I've been sharing that info on the various FB groups as well as my Engine Swap page. I've also been thinking about penning an article for the Self Starter if I can find some time.

But this did not solve the problem of the defunct Fuel Data / MPG Sentinel display. A pet project that got out of hand, I'm now producing a small batch of what I call the E/K Display Controller. Though don't be fooled, it will work with any V6/V8 engine (screw terminal inputs for sensors). And it plugs into the back of any of Cadillac's 3 different style '82-85 Fuel Data panels. Which means if you have a diesel, '79 Eldo, or RWD Brougham, you can substitute a junkyard or ebay Fuel Data display in place of your blanking plate. It uses the original switches and 7-segment displays to show Coolant Temp, Oil Pressure and system Voltage. A new acrylic faceplate replaces the original.

It solves a couple of other problems, too. This unit takes over driving the torque converter lockup and the Coolant Temp light that the ECM used to do. And it has some nifty features that I wanted for my '85 ETC that I'm getting on the road (Olds 350), such as an over-temp alert.

I shot a short video today showing how it works:

And put a page together with some pricing and options, as well as a link to the PDF manual for those who want to know how it hooks up and what all it can do.

I'm not looking to produce these commercially, and turn-key kits are limited by the number of display connectors I've clipped off junkyard cars the last couple of years. But I know there are others that appreciate a factory look, and would like to know just what their engine is up to.

Hi all - continuing on my slow re-assembly.

For the intake manifold and the tin metal gasket pan.  The shop manual states to :

1:  Place rubber seals front and rear of cylinder block.

2: "Cement sheet metal gasket and shield on engine."

3: Position manifold w/ 10 screws and 2 studs to 30 ft lbs.

On step 2, a Youtuber recommended Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket Sealer.  i have that an am ready to go.   

For this step - is it critical to get every touch point of that metal pan contact points to be coated with sealer even over the rubber end seals or is the goal to be certain the area where the  intake ports mate is well sealed.

And before step 3..  does the top side of the metal gasket stay dry or do you need to apply sealer on there too? And if so generous on al contact points or primarily where the ports mate? 

Also can you please tell me where the two screw studs go vs bolts.  I didn't disassemble it so I do not recall.

THANK YOU!

Howdy all,
I have temporary custody of a 1978 Eldorado Custom Biarritz Classic...a mouthful. I don't have any records, and, as the owner recently died, I have no way to ask questions.
I'm preparing the car for sale on Bring a Trailer as a charity auction to benefit Honest John's Texas Legends, a 501(c)3 charitable corporation set up to honor John Foust's memory by helping young victims of drunk drivers who have sustained severe traumatic brain injuries.
The car has 18K miles and hasn't been driven much in a few years, so running a little rough. I'll take it out for a Texas tuneup as soon as I replace the leaking master cylinder. But nosing around, I discovered that the vacuum line that should go from the A.I.R. Diverted Valve is disconnected and the fitting at the manifold is capped off.
Anybody know why this might have been done?
Thanks, Joe
And if you like these cars, it's a nice one. Should be live in a few weeks!
General Discussion / Sauls Autotek?
Last post by mgbeda - Today at 04:45:48 PM
Hi folks in Colorado.   Does anyone have experience with Saul's Autotek in Denver?  I'm considering hiring them to finish the restoration of Bessie. The main reason is they have a picture of a beautiful '71 Fleetwood on their website.   It's difficult for me to find information because I'm working on California now.  Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks very much,

-Mike Beda
Want To Buy - Parts / 37n Lasalle top shifter parts ...
Last post by mike mccagh - Today at 02:52:27 PM
need the bell-shaped piece that fastens/secures the shifter handle to the main case of a 37 top shifter. thank, mike mccagh text at 301 777 0089
General Discussion / Re: Wanted: CLC Escalade Owner...
Last post by Jason Edge - Today at 02:34:43 PM
Bryan, your questions were valid. It actually gave me a chance to show that us Escalade owners can be as passionate about our newer Cadillacs as we are with the older ones.

I will give you a specific example where I am again more concerned with the maintenance and preservation of the Escalades vs my 1964 Coupe de Ville.

My AC compressor went out in the 2002 EXT a while back and it and several other items, including the radiator, were immediately replaced at Thompson Cadillac to the tune of a lot of Benjamins.

Contrast that with the 64. I have had the heater hardwired bypassing the comfort control since I bought it. The Comfort Control system is on my to do list. I will get to it ... but am in no hurry.

Now if the 2013 EXT's AC goes out it gets fixed immediately. Anything either Escalade EXT needs to keep them in top shape, they get.
For Sale - Parts / 1957? Carb, Intake, Air cleane...
Last post by Poncholover - Today at 01:17:43 PM
These parts need to be cleaned up first but I will post photos soon.
They were represents to me as '57, the carb has no tag present but looks quite clean. Intake is very nice too. Willing to separate, cost to follow.