News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Vinyl Top

Started by ELDERDADO, April 27, 2024, 09:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ELDERDADO

Made the mistake of using some dubious vinyl spray (303) and it turned the top brown. Need soapy brillo to get it off. What's next to brighten it and protect? I've heard everything from PLEDGE to Armour All. Any ideas?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Not sure what to advise, but whatever you do, do not be tempted by Armorall as the product and vinyl do not go well together.

Great for selling a car, but not for keeping it as in a short time, cracks will appear.   Car yards love it, but they are not keeping the cars.

Using it will give you a "greasy" surface which will attract dust, plus every time you touch it, you will end up with sticky fingers.   Good for brightening up tyres, but tyres get replaced regularly.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

I don't disagree with Bruce, but in my experience, I used many kinds of greasy top dressings on a weekly (weekend) basis, weather permitting. I've had many well used, un garaged Cadillacs with weather faded vinyl, and in my experience, keeping the vinyl "well lubed" extends the life of the vinyl and halts the rust pimples that forms underneath from growing.  Some of the newer Cadillacs had fiberglass roof "shells" that were fastened to the top, with the vinyl glued to the fiberglass, Attempting to keep cancerous rust from the fastener holes with some kind of oily top dressing around the windshield and back window can help in these situations as well. You might not favor  the "Brylcream" look, but it does work to extend the life of the vinyl that has lost its ability to repel water . James

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

In my experience the best preserved vinyl roofs are those that had never been treated with shine products. Marketed as "protectants", their effect is exactly the opposite turning vinyl roofs into a gooey mess, resistant to any attempt to clean it off and ultimately ruining the material as progressively harsher methods are used to do it.  This applies to tires as well resulting in premature dry rot.

Unfortunately it's difficult to make any recommendations without seeing the roof in person but I have experience with 303 and it really shouldn't discolor the roof. Only thing I can suggest is check with a reputable auto detail shop and see what they say. However, be prepared for the news that the material can't be saved.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Tom Boehm

Back in the 80's when vinyl tops were new I used to use Turtle Wax Vinyl Top Wax. It was a liquid that I applied with a rag. Made the top look new. My 1973 vinyl top still looks great. It was not very durable but I didn't mind because it was easy to apply.

Alas, I think they stopped making it decades ago when vinyl tops went out of style.

Does anyone else still make vinyl top wax?

I tried 303 the last time and had no trouble with it. 

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

My "go to" product back in the day for my '73 Eldorado was
Turtle Wax Vinyl Top Wax (a liquid).  Alas nobody makes a
product called "vinyl top wax" these days as far as I'm aware.

However, it was really nothing special, simply an acrylic polymer solution very much like a vinyl floor polish.  I've
used "Mop 'n Shine" for years.  It works well -- my '73's top
still looks like new. Just wipe a coat on with a damp cloth
and let it dry.  The top, of course, needs to be clean (soap & water) prior to applying.  Any store selling household supplies should have it or try Amazon.

Unfortunately, if you used a Brillo pad on that top you
likely abraded the surface to the point that nothing
will help.  Good luck,

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Tom Boehm

Thanks Mike for suggesting a substitute for vinyl top wax. I always thought the top wax was similar to Mop n Glo but was too chicken to try it. I have used Mop n Glo or Mop N Shine on floors. Future was another similar floor finish product that is no longer made.

Big Fins

A friend of mine uses Mop-N-Glo on an old early 80's Freightliner interior and the tires. The vinyl interior looks and feels like new still and it never sees a garage to park in. I used it on that '69 Fleetwood that I had. It did a beautiful job with very little work and cheap money.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille