News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

1980 Cadillac deville, colonial yellow

Started by V63, July 31, 2023, 08:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V63

Not mine

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/MfkgrFHyTBb

Cadman-iac

There seems to be a digit missing on the odometer, or the paint fell off the number wheel for the 10K space.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Cadman-iac on July 31, 2023, 10:57:15 PMThere seems to be a digit missing on the odometer, or the paint fell off the number wheel for the 10K space.

A normal Cadillac odometer has no wheel for 1/10ths which was used for the trip odometer only. Evidently someone replaced the standard odometer with a trip odometer from another car. Needless to say the mileage cannot be relied upon.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

2011DTS

Eric has that right, never seen someone replace and odometer with a trip odometer, gee if they were going to go to that much trouble they should have just hooked a powerdrill to the speedometer cable and wound the original back, which use to be a pretty common "repair." >:(  >:(  >:(

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on August 01, 2023, 08:21:17 AMA normal Cadillac odometer has no wheel for 1/10ths which was used for the trip odometer only. Evidently someone replaced the standard odometer with a trip odometer from another car. Needless to say the mileage cannot be relied upon.   

I saw the 1/10's digit on both but it didn't register. You are right. Someone is trying to pull a fast one here.
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Quote from: 2011DTS on August 01, 2023, 11:20:05 AMEric has that right, never seen someone replace and odometer with a trip odometer, gee if they were going to go to that much trouble they should have just hooked a powerdrill to the speedometer cable and wound the original back, which use to be a pretty common "repair." >:(  >:(  >:(

I'm not sure that ever worked except on maybe the 40's and older vehicles, but they insured  anything 50's or newer couldn't be rewound to remove mileage. I've heard about people trying driving in reverse, or jacking the rear wheels up and letting the car run in reverse, but neither works.
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Other than the odometer issue, it is a good looking car. The color is very close if not the same as the 77 I have now. Mine is nothing but a parts car now though. The desert sun has taken its toll on everything but the sheet metal.
CLC# 32373

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Naples Yellow used in 1977 is more intense than  Colonial Yellow which was used 1978 - 1980 and 1982.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on August 01, 2023, 03:06:30 PMNaples Yellow used in 1977 is more intense than  Colonial Yellow which was used 1978 - 1980 and 1982.

I have to admit that the Colonial Yellow is easier on the eyes, and mine has been sitting out in the desert sun for many years now, so it's kinda hard to tell the difference between the two colors with what's left of mine. Thanks.

Rick
CLC# 32373