News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Windshield wipers

Started by Geoff Newcombe #4719, December 28, 2005, 11:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Newcombe #4719

With a fully charged battery the windshield wiper motor in my 1960 Cadillac takes 10 to 15 seconds to start operating after the switch is turned on.  When turned off it makes several more rotations (sometimes many more) before it finally shuts off and parks.  I am ASSuming that the motor brushes as well as the park mechanism are sticking/gummed up and need a good cleaning.  Any further suggestions or special problems to look for once I get in there.
Thanks.  Geoff Newcombe  #4719

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Geoff,

Funny thing, I think you and I have the same wiper motors.

So, I also would like an answer.

After it initially takes time to start operating, it seems to work well.   The parking cycle takes a couple of wipes before it stops, but I think that is nomal.

I have had mine to pieces, and found that a part was loose, and even though fixing it, it still acts up.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le).
60 CDV

Brent Hladky (21519)

I had the same problems with my 61.  Eventually I just gave up and bought a rebuilt motor.  Wipers now work excellently - turn on and off immediately.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Brent,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am of the type that likes to fix the fixable (read as poor and cheap) as there has to be a simple solution.

When I stripped mine down, I couldnt see what was causing the problem and nothing, apart from the parking thingy, appeared to be out of place.

I have the three speeds, and the parking bit, but it wont start up, or stop on demand.

Got to be something simple.

And, being so far away and to the South of most places, apart from New Zealand and the Falklands, one tends to try and fix what one has.   Cant just go to a wreching yard or shop and buy a replacement in the hope that it fixes the problem.

I have given up on the washer working.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Fred Garfield 22310

Want to trade wiper problems? Mine wont work at all unless I raise the hood and tap a few times on the inboard side of the motor housing with a screwdriver blade.

Fred Garfield 22310

Do you recall who you bought your rebuild from and what it cost?

Geoff Newcombe #4719

One gentleman wrote me suggesting my problem was a poor ground and to run a separate wire from the wiper motor to a good engine ground, an excellent suggestion but unfortunately in my case it didnt make any difference ...... so out the assembly comes (groan).
To Fred Garfield, it sounds like your problem could be hung up/sticking or worn out brushes.
Geoff N.

Bill Edmunds - #5484

I, too, have the same problem with my 60 wipers.  I initially thought it might be the switch snd replaced that to no avail. Ive gone so far as to remove the switch only to have the wipers continue to operate.  Ultimately, they stop.  Like you, its been suggested to me that the old lubricant has gelled and is causing the difficulty.  Theres got to be an approach better than carrying a goodly supply of Rain-X!

Michael Stamps 19507

LOL guess every 60 owner has the same problem.  Ive had to get out and unplug the motor to get mine to stop.

Stampie

Geoff Newcombe #4719

I will probably be removing my wiper motor and transmission assembly tomorrow, Friday 12/30.  My plan is to give it a general cleanup and check over making sure the brushes are good and free to move and relubing the rest as necessary.  According to the schematic there is a solenoid in there which I will check over as much as possible.  Other than that I have no spare parts and am not a wiper assembly expert, hopefully I will find nothing broken.  I too would be interested in knowing where the rebuilt wiper assembly mentioned earlier was purchased ....... just in case.  If I find anything of interest inside that might help the rest of you with the same problem, I will let the forum know.  Thanks.
Geoff N.

Ivan Zanatta

Check and double check that wiper switch! The wiper motor depends on a ground through the switch to operate, or to stop.Dont forget to put one test probe of your continuity meter on the housing of the switch. I had a double- whammy with a bad switch AND a bad wiper motor, now it works, but I have to manually park the wipers (no big deal, it doesnt rain here, and spares are rarer than the rain).

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Thank you Ivan.  I have had the wiper motor/transmission assembly out and back in, it now works perfectly ..... at least as good as new, maybe better :-).  First though I disassembled, cleaned, and relubed the monkey motion wiper linkage, all kinds of pivot points there (especially the right one) that needed cleaning up with some rolled up emery cloth through the bushings and then fresh grease, I used white lube.  The linkages were quite stiff and hard to move before and nice and free after.

Inside the motor/trans. assembly the brushes were good but I cleaned up the commutator with emery cloth and lightly cleaned up the points with a points file.  The latch and follower assembly  pivot needed lubing, a couple of drops of Super Lube upon reassembly had it working freely.  Where the eccentric shaft goes through the trans. case bushing (what the linkage crank arm is hooked to) it was dirty, gummy, and stiff trying to turn it so a good solvent on a rag cleanup and fresh white lube also had it freed up and turning easily.

I believe the biggest factor in the unit not wanting to park for several revolutions was a missing rubber bumper which I found floating around inside the trans. and had no idea at first where it came from or what it was for.  The shop manual I have shows it but very unclearly; between my sons younger eyes and some head scratching we figured out where it should be and I made a new one out of a short piece (maybe 1/4 inch) of 5/32s windshield washer hose with just a touch of silicone rubber to maybe hold it in place.  The wipers now turn on and off (and park) immediately as they should and I am very pleased with the results.  

I am quite certain that the other fellows who wrote in saying they were experiencing the same problems I was would benefit greatly from doing the same thing I have done.  When I startd out my linkages were so bound up the wipers wouldnt turn on at all, once they were freed up it all worked but it was obvious I still had problems so diving into the motor/trans assembly became necessary.  Im very glad I took the time to do so.  It was well worth it.

Since this is going to be a nice driver and sort of show car I am not overly concerned about EVERYTHING being as factory so I am not going to fight with the factory w.shield washer pump. I am next going to install an electric washer pump hooked up to the regular washer button.
Geoff N.      

Fred Garfield 22310

Geoff, thankyou so much for taking the time to relate all this. Ill check the brushes sometime this week and even if that solves my problem, Ill still do some of what youve described as routine maintenance.

Im looking forward to hearing how your new pump works out. I wont know if mine is working until I replace the rusted out washer jar lid, check the switch, ground, etc. I just saw a beautifully rebuilt original 59 show quality pump on ebay that was selling for a princely sum in case anybody needs one for his trailer queen.

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Fred,
Well, I hope my final post was/is helpful.  The wipers work perfectly, mostly clean up and lube of all the pivot points and getting that rubber piece back on the park mechanism.  

The electric washer motor is great, I mounted it on the fender below the washer fluid jar and hooked it into the factory wiring connector so it works with the original push button as it used to.  I ran the hoses direct from the pump to the squirt nozzles.  A friend of mine redoing a 62 Olds Starfire was more clever than I and ran the pressure hose from the new pump to the old in port on the old pump, and then ran the hoses from the old pump to the nozzles so it looks factory, but in actuality the new electric pump is pushing the fluid through the old pump first.  Works fine, and looks original unless you look close enough to find the electric pump which most people wont.  I may change mine to that setup later but in the meantime have moved on to other things on the car.
Geoff N.

Fred Garfield 22310

Your post was indeed extremely helpful, Geoff. You probably saved me at least a couple hours of head scratching. Thanks again. And glad to hear your electric pump is working out.

Josh#19583

Quote from: Michael Stamps 19507LOL guess every 60 owner has the same problem.  Ive had to get out and unplug the motor to get mine to stop.

Stampie
Me too!possesed wipers.
Josh