News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Chrome Cleaning and Polishing

Started by Clewisiii, March 27, 2024, 06:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

What are your recommendations for chrome cleaning and polishing.

I think my favorite product is White Diamond polish. I do use 0000 steel wool with it and it cleans and polished very well.

After this step should I use a wax to protect. Would that only be for exterior chrome or can it be on interior as well.

61tJEkeqflL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

35-709

White Diamond is good stuff, but as stated it is more a metal polish (aluminum, stainless, brass).  Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Cleaner is my old standby and it works well, sometimes with 0000 steel wool.  Mothers California Gold is good too, but sometimes leaves a hazy spot that requires a lot of rubbing to get off, in my experience.  Turtle Wax is available at any auto parts store, WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes --- hard NOT to be able to find it.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David Greenburg

I've used Auto-Sol for cleaning dirty/tired chrome, but prefer something less abrasive for chrome in good shape. I like Klasse All in One for routine detailing of healthy chrome. I don't see why you couldn't wax interior chrome if you're so inclined.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jay Friedman

I prefer Wright's Brass Polish for chrome.  It was recommended to me as having less "abrasive" than other polishes.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Moody

Whatever polish you use, make sure there's no ammonia in the mix. That can strip chrome with repeated use, per a plater I've used.
Moody

cadillacmike68

Mothers Chrome Polish for me.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jim Miller

I use any brand cleaner wax or sometimes plain old Johnson's Paste wax with 0000 bronze wool. It's easier on chrome than steel wool. Have used on my boat hardware for 40 years and works just as well for the cars.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX