News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 motor mounts remove

Started by 60eldo, April 01, 2024, 12:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Can someone tell me the socket size I need to remove the nut on the motor mounts. The bolt that goes threw the frame
Jon. Kluczynski

Clewisiii

I cannot exactly remember, but I think it was 3/4 for my 61. Hand access to get in there was a pain.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Only picture I had of it on the forum

IMG_20230625_120621000.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

60eldo

Thanks, I agree 4 hrs to take 2 of them out while laying on the ground.
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

Not sure what is going on here, but when I pulled the engine from my '60 CDV, access to the bottom retaining nut was really easy.   As for the size, it was so long ago I cannot recall, but probably the usual 3/4" UNF spanner/socket, as the thread would have been 1/2" UNF.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jason Edge

Assuming the 60 is similar to the 63/64's I deal with it is easy ... after you have done it once.

It is a 3/4" nut, and is easiest to access with a 1/2" socket, 1/2" U Joint, 1 foot long 1/2" extension and 1/2" ratchet. It is easier to access if you gently lift the side of the car, and turn the wheel outward giving you easy access to the triangular opening in the frame up to the nut.

After 59 parts cars, that pushing the socket up the nut and backing it off is one of the easier things I do when breaking the cars down. For someone that has never removed the nut I would strap that headlight on, get on the ground look up and see the nut.  When you break down a car with 5000+ parts you can't let one nut stop you... else you become the nut! Again, this is assuming the 60/61/62's are similar to the 63/64's.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

59-in-pieces

I agree with Jason.

It is one of the easier tasks on a 59 - and surely the cheapest.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher