News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Flathead Engine - Valve Guide Tool

Started by Andrew Zizolfo CLC#5011, October 01, 2007, 12:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Zizolfo CLC#5011

I am installing new valves and valve guides on my flathead '40 LaSalle. I am in need of the proper valve guide remover/installer tool. Can anyone tell me:

1) Is the tool available for sale? If so, where?
2) Is there a suitable substitute? Or can I rent something at a parts store?
3) What are the dimensions of the tool, in case I wanted to have a shop make one up?

I did fabricate one that I used to remove one guide. It worked great, but I wouldn't trust it to install the new.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Andy, I made a tool out of galvanized metal, and peened one long edge over about a half an inch to keep from cutting myself when using it. All I did was make it long enough (eight-nine inches) to cover all the valve lifter surfaces, and about three-four inches wide. The galvanized metal is both stiff enough to not collapse, and flexible enough to "follow" the guides into place. If you have trouble, I think I know where mine is, and I can trace it and fax it to you. In case you need the length to measure to the end of the valve stems, that is 3.0" The tool was commonly known as the "three inch tool." You can make one of these out of an old valve stem and weld another in the center at a 90 degree angle for a handle. As I recall, the one I borrowed was like this, and the guy had left the valve head on the "handle" so that he would know what tool it was. I hope this helps.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

harry s

Andy, You can turn the end of a punch or drift pin down to fit the hole in the guide. You can also do the same thing to an insert for an air hammer and use that. Another thing that helps in the installation is to put the new guides in the freezer over night and remove just prior to installation. That little bit of shrinkage helps a lot. In most cases it is also necessary to ream the new guides.  Good Luck.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

baxterculver

Quote from: harry s on October 01, 2007, 10:22:09 AM
Andy, You can turn the end of a punch or drift pin down to fit the hole in the guide. You can also do the same thing to an insert for an air hammer and use that. Another thing that helps in the installation is to put the new guides in the freezer over night and remove just prior to installation. That little bit of shrinkage helps a lot. In most cases it is also necessary to ream the new guides.  Good Luck.
Pay close attention to the valve stem-valveguide clearance.  If it is too tight, the valves will stick when the engine is at operating temp.  Refer to the shop manual for the proper clearances.  Intake and exhaust clearances are not the same.
baxter culver clc#17184

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Whoops. Andy, I gave you some good information, but not what you needed. I'm glad Baxter helped out. Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville